AC compressor is noisy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmike25

Reaction score
While changing the coolant yesterday I started the engine several times and ran it until it reached operating temp. I noticed the AC compressor was noisy, sounded like dry bearings. For whatever reason, the clutch would engage occasionally. When it engaged, the noise went away. I never ran the AC in the car while doing this, I had it set on heat. I wonder if I need to or even can change the compressor clutch? 2007 Liberty, 3.7, 70,122 miles

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The AC cycles on and off year round , just the way it works
If that noisy, yes I would say you need to change it

dmike25

Reaction score
While corresponding with Adam at the A/C Compressor Clutch Store it was determined that the compressor has been replaced before. With a "cheap" unit from china. Here's what he said:

"Your OEM Compressor was replaced with an after-market unit (made in China).
I am sorry but Our Clutches are made to fit the OEM Sanden compressors and will not fit your compressor."
Anyone have any luck changing the clutch on a chinese compressor?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem would be finding the replacement. I doubt there's much replacement support for that unit. I did the OE clutch in my 05 a while back and it was no big deal. The process is probably the same with the replacement you have but finding that correct clutch is unlikely.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While changing the coolant yesterday I started the engine several times and ran it until it reached operating temp. I noticed the AC compressor was noisy, sounded like dry bearings. For whatever reason, the clutch would engage occasionally. When it engaged, the noise went away. I never ran the AC in the car while doing this, I had it set on heat. I wonder if I need to or even can change the compressor clutch? 2007 Liberty, 3.7, 70,122 miles
got a picture of what your aftermarket compressor looks like?

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those were the pictures I sent to the A/C Compressor Clutch Store. I can take some more tomorrow if I need to.
nah - that is good. my question is -

when you installed, did you have to adjust the ‘air gap’ on the clutch?

Usually, under the center bolt, there are a few washers of varying thickness that let you adjust the face to face clearance on the clutch faces. i would start by taking the center bolt out and remove one washer, reassemble, and see what I had then. On mine, i did it twice before I got it working right.

dmike25

Reaction score
I haven't installed a new clutch yet, haven't even bought one. It's just starting to get noisy. I'd like to change it before it becomes a problem. I can't help but think that when it goes it will disable the vehicle, since it's run by the serpentine belt.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you remove the serpentine belt and spin the outer pulley? If it's just the bearing you should feel it. A clutch replacement would fix this but the bearing itself is replaceable too. That T68184 seems to be a carquest part so seems like there should be a kit or at least a bearing replacement out there.

dmike25

Reaction score
Thanks itd02. No, I haven't removed the belt and spun the pulley. I will today. Good to hear that it's a carquest part, mayhaps I can find parts locally.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, probably the outer clutch pulley bearing, but when the clutch engages it changes the amount of stress/force on the whole serpentine system. I have seen it actually quiet other pulleys that were failing so spin all the pulleys while the belt is off.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't installed a new clutch yet, haven't even bought one. It's just starting to get noisy. I'd like to change it before it becomes a problem. I can't help but think that when it goes it will disable the vehicle, since it's run by the serpentine belt.
Understood. I was thinking you had to adjust the gap when the aftermarket compressor was installed.

Re - disabling the jeep -

There are several threads here about a shorter belt that allows you to keep the jeep on the road if your clutch on the compressor fails.

dmike25

Reaction score
Thanks DadOSix. When I checked the other pulleys yesterday (all okay), I was looking at the front of the engine and wondering if a shorter belt would work, bypassing the compressor. You've saved me a lot of time! I'm not good at all using the search function in forums, it doesn't take long for me to get frustrated and give up. I would have ended up using a tape measure and then searching for a proper length belt. Thanks again!

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks DadOSix. When I checked the other pulleys yesterday (all okay), I was looking at the front of the engine and wondering if a shorter belt would work, bypassing the compressor. You've saved me a lot of time! I'm not good at all using the search function in forums, it doesn't take long for me to get frustrated and give up. I would have ended up using a tape measure and then searching for a proper length belt. Thanks again!
No worries! The search can be a bit of a bear on these forums anyway. I just knew I had posted it and I went and searched posts by me, and scrolled back to find for you. I’ve got to kj on the road and there is a shorter belt in my parts area.

dmike25

Reaction score
I went to advance auto parts (they sell carquest) and they have that compressor but no parts for it. Since it's not an emergency situation (yet) I've decided to get a shorter belt in order to bypass the ac compressor and keep it and the necessary tools in the Liberty.
Post in thread 'Belt just snapped..'
https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/belt-just-snapped.79002/post-794253
there is your shorter belt.
Thanks for the link
What I can't decide is which way to route the bypass belt? I've found a couple of pictures, I hope this routing will work since it doesn't require removing the pulley
You must be registered for see images attach

The other way would need the pulley gone
You must be registered for see images attach

I wonder which way uses the 82 1/2" belt? I guess I'll use a cloth tape measure and check each route. I'm really hoping that the routing in the first image will work, since it doesn't require the pulley to be removed. Who knows, I might save enough $ to buy a proper replacement compressor and fix it right before it becomes a problem! I just need to be prepared since it's my wifes car, and I can't have it broke down.