Cold start problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsp86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all! 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7l here, Jeep wont start in this cold Michigan winter...seems to start up decent when its above 32 degrees anything under that and it just wont fire up. I decided to replace my old battery yesterday and it started right up and I did a lot of errands and I had no issues with it starting. I let it sit overnight, go out this morning and wont start again, cranks but wont start up. (evap code is all im getting but its been there a while).

Anyone ever experience this? What fixed your problem? Thanks in advance!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Things fail in funny ways with temperature changes. Had a fuel pump that would only cut out on really hot days when I parked it for less than 10 minutes then tried to restart it. It would always restart on the second or third try. Chased that issue for over a year before the fuel pump finally died for good.

Check for fuel and spark. Go from there.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all! 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7l here, Jeep wont start in this cold Michigan winter...seems to start up decent when its above 32 degrees anything under that and it just wont fire up. I decided to replace my old battery yesterday and it started right up and I did a lot of errands and I had no issues with it starting. I let it sit overnight, go out this morning and wont start again, cranks but wont start up. (evap code is all im getting but its been there a while).

Anyone ever experience this? What fixed your problem? Thanks in advance!

Most common issue is bad gas,IE water in the gas.

If your like many that go to that one gas station that is drastically cheaper then any others chances are it has water in it.Not to say others can't have water but less likely.Filling right after the tankers fill the stations tanks is also bad,as is older gas stations that have not had there tanks replaced in over 10 years.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Water sinks to the bottom of a gas tank. It doesn't take much to plug a fuel-line. More condensation can form in an emptier tank so keep a fuller tank in the winter and add HEET occasionally.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 to adding gas line antifreeze. My 96 Chevy K1500 was the worst vehicle I have owned when it came to frozen fuel lines if HEET wasn't used, but I could get in my 91 Toyota pickup and it would fire right up. I have been using HEET in my 06 Liberty because I don't want to find out it is as bad as the Chevy was.

It might also be an issue with the Intake Air Temp sensor or coolant temp sensor as the engine needs extra fuel to get started in cold weather

jsp86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to get back but I went out and held the gas pedal to the floor while cranking and finally got it to start...I added some Heet after that and its been starting right up every day now (although it has been warmer out). Fingers crossed I dont have this issue again!