clunk clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

telefunkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if this is normal. When at a stop, if I accelerate and then quickly release the pedal I get a clunk that sounds and feels like it's coming from the rear axle. I have noticed it a few times during normal driving, always just after letting off the gas.

telefunkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'll check that but wouldn't i notice problems when in 4hi if it is the front driveshaft? I took her through some heavy snow earlier today and had no problems shifting into 4hi.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check that upper ball joint and bushings, sounds like the culprit to me after reading a bunch of posts about it.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if this is normal. When at a stop, if I accelerate and then quickly release the pedal I get a clunk that sounds and feels like it's coming from the rear axle. I have noticed it a few times during normal driving, always just after letting off the gas.

I get that sometimes. Last time I remember was when I changed lanes quickly with it floored in order to get into a turn lane. I got into the turn lane and immediately hit the brakes and "THUNK" in the rear. Almost feels like just the rear wheels hit a bump. I think it is characteristic of the liberty. My '03 did it too sometimes although not as much I think. My '04 has done this since I got it with 3000K on it. Just my .02.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engaging 4wd won't make the noise come back or go away since the front ds spins regardless if 4wd is engaged or not.

So check the front ds and what the other guys said.

All you gotta do for the front ds is check the boots on side connecting to the t-case. If theres a tear in it then thats your problem.

Well sure it will. When in 2wd there is no torque on the front driveshaft. When in 4wd it will have torque on it so it could only make a noise in 4wd.

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i first heard it after i hit a pot hole...sounds like a flat tire when i am driving down the road.

after 8 auto shops, a re-built front drive shaft, replaced rear bushing and control arm, the NEW diagnosis is front CV/axle joint.

pull off the front drive shaft and drive it around to rule out the front shaft. if the noise goes away completely its most likely a bad shaft (about $80-120 to fix at a DS shop).

check all the bushings for play while the jeep is "weight bearing" (off a jack).

check the front CV joints for TOO much play near the housing. this is where i got my diagnosis for my problem. the front passenger CV, when on a jack, is locked down by the spring expanding. when its weight bearing (as it is under normal driving conditions) its got way too much play at the housing side making the same clunk clunk noise i hear when driving.

hope this helps a little

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well sure it will. When in 2wd there is no torque on the front driveshaft. When in 4wd it will have torque on it so it could only make a noise in 4wd.

the front shaft is s constant velocity shaft. both ends of the shaft are engaged at all times and thus spin at all times. the transfer case will engage the front gears only if engaged in the cab....so the Front DS will always make a sound if it is bad (usually a bad vibration is first noticed)

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front driveshaft spins regardless of which transfer case you have, why? Because the front dif is spinning with the tires so the shaft spins to as there isn't a disengage at the dif, make sense now??

The transfer case just engages the front driveshaft when you want 4wd.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I was lied to. I went out and jacked up the front and turned the wheel/tire and the CV shaft turned. Why didn't Jeep put in a autolocking hub? WTfudge? More gas mileage, less wear and tear. What were they thinking?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would rather have the setup the Jeep has instead of auto locking or manual hubs.... Just been more reliable in my opinion.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the front shaft is s constant velocity shaft. both ends of the shaft are engaged at all times and thus spin at all times. the transfer case will engage the front gears only if engaged in the cab....so the Front DS will always make a sound if it is bad (usually a bad vibration is first noticed)

I have to agree with jeepjeepster. Though the front shaft always spins, it's much more likely to make noise when torque is applied to it.