Fuel Burp Problem - Sourcing the check valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glenn Buskirk

Reaction score
My daughter's '06 KJ is exhibiting the fuel burp problem on every fill-up. The pump is late to shut off and gas spills from the fuel filler. I have read the threads here on the matter, including the excellent guide for inserting a check valve in the filler hose. This procedure calls for sourcing the check valve by removing it from a GM filler hose part (15131046HOSE). I am not able to find this part in stock anywhere. I would like to ask if anyone has used this other type of fuel filler check valve. It is available to fit hoses with 1.5" and 2" inner diameters. Also, what is the inner diameter of the KJ's fuel filler tube? It is likely the same size as that GM part, but I haven't found that dimension either.

PS: I found an ad photo of the GM part that has, imprinted on the hose the dimension 1". I presume that's a 1 inch inner diameter. I'll be looking for a suitable check valve. Also, I don't know how they got away without a recall on this. It seems to be a real hazard in a rollover.

Last edited:

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used ethanol free gas in mine consistently for about a year and the fuel burp went away immediately. Something about the ethanol swelling the check valve seal. Im now back to using the standard 10%ethanol we're having to use and I haven't had an issue since. But if you want that gm check valve put that part number into the amazon search and it comes up with the gm filler tube.

Glenn Buskirk

Reaction score
I used ethanol free gas in mine consistently for about a year and the fuel burp went away immediately. Something about the ethanol swelling the check valve seal. Im now back to using the standard 10%ethanol we're having to use and I haven't had an issue since. But if you want that gm check valve put that part number into the amazon search and it comes up with the gm filler tube.
Immediately after a year? Or immediately immediately, on the first tank? Amazon has a listing for the hose, but it is unavailable. Many other GM parts houses also list it, but as unavailable. Thanks for your reply.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish I could find ethanol-free near enough to me that I wouldn't burn off half of it on the way home from the station... :rolleyes:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Horrible stuff, I won't even put it in my garden tools.

Glenn Buskirk

Reaction score
Well, I was able to purchase the AC Delco hose with the 1" fuel check valve (see above) from a third-party seller on Amazon. I've also seen it go up for sale on Ebay. Meanwhile, my daughter's been burning 91-octane no-alcohol fuel and getting tired of paying for it. So today we attacked the repair. It went step-by-step just as shown in the excellent guide, but I had under-estimated the difficulty of detaching the hose from the tank fitting. After loosening the clamp, I had to pull and pull on the hose, wiggle up-and-down, etc. Finally it came free, and I was able to pull it through the frame hole and insert the check valve. I put a little vaseline on the inner surface of the hose, and it wasn't too hard to get it back on the tank fitting and clamp it back in place. The POM pop rivets from Harbor Freight did the trick for reattaching the wheel liner. We mounted the tire and drove out for gas. It didn't spew. I think we got it fixed!