Bought a non-working '02 Liberty, where to start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point there would be no reason to think you wouldn't have to pull the engine no matter what. With the damage there that will be inevitable, even to just change the piston if the bottom can be salvaged.

Now, personally I'd pull the heads (both of them) just to quickly see what the top end looks like. I sort of like dissecting things just to get a good look. You'll be able to see the tops of the pistons, and if that one is trashed, you'll be able to see if it damaged the cylinder. If it damaged the cylinder then replace engine. If it didn't damage cylinder you'll still have to pull the rest of the block to replace that piston and see what the bottom end looks like.

Just my way of doing things. I'm sure opinions will vary.

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe. If the damage is limited. There may be a hole in the cylinder walls or through parts of the block. You'll probable have to do something about the crankshaft.

If you want to try to save the block pull the heads, if it isn't going to work it's not completely wasted, it'll be easier to pull the motor out.
Or find a short block already rebuilt if the cylinder heads are ok (long block is a complete motor, short is usually just the block minus heads.)
Personally I'd try to find a used replacement. Put all you efforts in a direction you'll know will pay off with a running jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So as long as there are no holes in the bottom of the block is it ok? Once I remove the cylinder heads will I be able to see all the way into the block?

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point there would be no reason to think you wouldn't have to pull the engine no matter what. With the damage there that will be inevitable, even to just change the piston if the bottom can be salvaged.

Now, personally I'd pull the heads (both of them) just to quickly see what the top end looks like. I sort of like dissecting things just to get a good look. You'll be able to see the tops of the pistons, and if that one is trashed, you'll be able to see if it damaged the cylinder. If it damaged the cylinder then replace engine. If it didn't damage cylinder you'll still have to pull the rest of the block to replace that piston and see what the bottom end looks like.

Just my way of doing things. I'm sure opinions will vary.

Is it worth getting a hoist or at this point should I just tow it to a shop?

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as long as there are no holes in the bottom of the block is it ok? Once I remove the cylinder heads will I be able to see all the way into the block?

Um, well you will see enough to know how bad it is.
Hang on I got some picture posted from when I took apart my old motor, that will give you an idea.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

No you'll just be able to see the tops of the pistons. Maybe past the one that exploded. Maybe you'll see more have exploded.

Is it worth getting a hoist or at this point should I just tow it to a shop?

Depends on your comfort level and tool collection. I'm far from a mechanic but I'm not afraid to really break something to see how it works and potentially fix it. Shops can be very expensive but save you alot of frustration. This sort of work does involve some ******** wrenching and definitely requires quite a bit of attention to detail. A bit more involved than just having a hoist.

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody here ever bought an engine from an auto wrecker? I'm guessing if I can find one with body damage the engine might still be good, and I could just have a shop do the swap, let me know what you guys think thanks

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody here ever bought an engine from an auto wrecker? I'm guessing if I can find one with body damage the engine might still be good, and I could just have a shop do the swap, let me know what you guys think thanks

I bought the 2012 motor from a local yard.
Give me an idea where you are and I'll do a search.
Or you can look at car-part.com , www.hollanderparts.com and eBay.
When you find a yard you can do a search on their name and look for complaints.

You have a few options, any 3.7 from any Chrysler product will work , I think it's 2002-2004 (2003?) for a direct swap 2005-2012 can work with a reluctor ring swap which is a little involved but do able.

A lot of information here just lets us know what you are thinking of. So many here have been there done that they can steer you right.

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the 2012 motor from a local yard.
Give me an idea where you are and I'll do a search.
Or you can look at car-part.com , www.hollanderparts.com and eBay.
When you find a yard you can do a search on their name and look for complaints.

You have a few options, any 3.7 from any Chrysler product will work , I think it's 2002-2004 (2003?) for a direct swap 2005-2012 can work with a reluctor ring swap which is a little involved but do able.

A lot of information here just lets us know what you are thinking of. So many here have been there done that they can steer you right.

I am in the Chicagoland area. My car is a 2002 3.7L V6 Vin K. I'll check the sites you just mentioned right now.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So essentially if I find a mechanically sound block I'm ok right? I can just transfer the components from the donor engine to the new engine?

Depends. If you find a complete motor then yes. If you mean find a block only no cylinder heads put your parts on it, then it's a maybe because you need to see what parts are good on yours.

It's very likely the cylinder heads On the motor now have been trashed. But there is still a chance they are ok. A extremely violent event occurred inside your motor, from the damage we have seen its bad but there is no set rule for what has to be damaged, it's the kind of thing you'll only learns on tear down.

When you buy a complete used motor in general you'll need to swap over stuff like oil pan, intake, exhaust manifolds, valve covers, sometimes sensors.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My suspicions about it being a piston/rod issue came true, but wow, I didn't expect the piston to have gotten gobbled up like that. You can see the counterweight of the crank, but not the journal end to know if that part got damaged. But considering it was the crank journal that was beating up and grinding the rod and piston.... I'm sure it's beyond toast. A nut or bolt in the cylinder can ruin everything, but an entire piston, rod, and rings getting ground apart? I'd be very surprised if the block, crank and head didn't get totally trashed. Bottom line, your engine has to come out regardless, this isn't an in-car fix. Dismantling the engine at this point is likely to be more for post mortem show & tell entertainment.

Last edited:

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a search for used, found a 2002 3.7 with lower miles is in the area. No price online.
Somebody here bought a low mileage motor from Mexico for the same year I think. May check back with him to see if it worked out.

You have a few options depending what years are available in your area.

If your budget is hurting maybe somebody near by will have a good block or like I do a block and cylinder heads the need to be cleaned and reassembled. It wouldn't be worth shipping anything half assed, finding a complete motor would be your best bet. Or disassemble what you have to see how dead it is. (I think it's toast and hate telling someone just starting working on cars to take on needlessly the task of disassembling a complicated motor)

Last edited:

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a random thought, how to rebuilders treat a motor like this? Would you get the core charge back?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I'm curious about, the cylinder he showed was the first and only one he scoped, the scope got stuck. Did he just hit it lucky, or did more than just this one cylinder blow apart?

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A core has to be rebuildable. On the surface, this one looks like a candidate for scrap metal.

That was my thought. Only rebuilt motor I had done by a shop was for my truck it was going not blown. The other rebuilt had no core cause the shop went under .

Usually I swap the motor my self and keep the core where I can cause I'm a parts hoarder.