Bought a non-working '02 Liberty, where to start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He isn't giving the warranty, that's why I deleted the post, it was a misunderstanding on my part, apparently depending on the price the motor would come with a warranty
Does this friend have a salvage yard or something ? Seems strange he has the engine you need & willing to put it in for that price . If this is a legitimate deal I'd jump on it but no money would change hands until I had a properly running jeep . The price is dirt cheap .

I see you edited your above post & answered my questions . How is he going to give you a warranty on a deal like that ?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Salvage yards usually give some kind of warranty , not on your labor , but on their parts . Make sure you get one from the correct year model to save yourself a lot of work & money . Also the lower the mileage on the engine usually the better .
Not long ago I bought a sharp 05 for cheap that needed an engine due to low compression . After a lot of searching I found a wrecked 05 with low mileage & the price was right . I swapped the engine myself .
While the engine was out I installed all new expansion plugs , oil pan gasket , motor mounts , rear main oil seal & torque converter seal in front of transmission . Jeep runs like new now . Good luck on your swap & keep us posted how it goes .

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Salvage yards usually give some kind of warranty , not on your labor , but on their parts . Make sure you get one from the correct year model to save yourself a lot of work & money . Also the lower the mileage on the engine usually the better .
Not long ago I bought a sharp 05 for cheap that needed an engine due to low compression . After a lot of searching I found a wrecked 05 with low mileage & the price was right . I swapped the engine myself .
While the engine was out I installed all new expansion plugs , oil pan gasket , motor mounts , rear main oil seal & torque converter seal in front of transmission . Jeep runs like new now . Good luck on your swap & keep us posted how it goes .

Do you think an engine around 100K miles is ok? According to my friend it's gonna be a bit cheaper than one under 75K miles, let me know what you think.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think an engine around 100K miles is ok? According to my friend it's gonna be a bit cheaper than one under 75K miles, let me know what you think.

I have 164k on mine. Yours had 160k when it bit the dust. Others have been further.

If you can...pull the valve covers before purchasing. Look for signs of sludge or odd where. Bring your mechanic friend. Sometimes it takes a more inclined eye to see certain things. If all checks out...an engine with 100k isn't a bad investment. Even if you get 60k out of it that's worth it.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna give it a go, ill update you guys once the swap is done

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Hell yeah! Somebody is doing you a huge favor! Be sure to buy them a case of their favorite brew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One with 100,000 should be good for quite a while if it's been taken care of & had regular oil changes etc .

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think you'll be ok. You can get a lot of miles out of a 3.7, may have been bad luck or abuse that killed the old one. Even if you old get 50-60k it is worth it IMO.

On the new one Pull the covers and check for sludge. Do any maintenance that's easier out of the vehicle and you should be good. I'd replace water pump, hoses, mounts, plugs (most junk yard warranties require this, sadly it's necessary with some shops). bTW Save the old ignition coils, just as spares. You should get a set with the new motor.

When I swapped mine I bought new oil pan, motor mounts and a flywheel to speed up the turnaround. Good thing too except for the flywheel it was all junk. Since its probably going be kj to KJ you shouldn't need a oil pan.

I'd love to know what killed the old motor and how bad it was. Shouldn't look at a gift horse too closely. Hopefully in a few weeks you'll have a proper welcome to the world of jeeping!

I wonder if it's that the newer engines are more sensitive to oil requirements or just the normal amount of failures for any engine designs? The jeeps with old iron head engines almost couldn't kill them. Anything I've had with aluminum heads has been real sensitive. Notably the Toyota 7M, real prima donna there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd offer $1,500 if everything checked out . Worst thing that could happen is he'd say no . Should be a really good engine with that low of mileage . Is the vehicle wrecked or what ?

Never mind , I clicked on the link , doubt being a salvage yard would come down .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.