Bought a non-working '02 Liberty, where to start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ocelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you considered the possibility that you might have a dropped valve into a cylinder? (although this doesn't explain the oil loss)

Last edited:

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am waiting for the endoscope still, but I would appreciate if gave me some advice as to how to check for a dropped valve, I have not considered that possibility yet to be honest.

Have you considered the possibility that you might have a dropped valve into a cylinder? (although this doesn't explain the oil loss)

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the possible scenarios I threw at you earlier was if the timing chain or related went out, and a piston hits a (now out of time) open valve. That can do damage to the valve, the piston, and to the cylinder wall if the valve snaps off.
A dropped valve seat can happen with the 3.7 and 4.7 engines. What happens is the hardened seat comes loose from the head, and it can slip down and wedge the valve open. It's also one of the causes for rocker arms throwing off. You will see if something is out of place when you go scoping around.

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the possible scenarios I threw at you earlier was if the timing chain or related went out, and a piston hits a (now out of time) open valve. That can do damage to the valve, the piston, and to the cylinder wall if the valve snaps off.
A dropped valve seat can happen with the 3.7 and 4.7 engines. What happens is the hardened seat comes loose from the head, and it can slip down and wedge the valve open. It's also one of the causes for rocker arms throwing off. You will see if something is out of place when you go scoping around.

The endoscope is will be delivered shortly according to amazon, hoping for the best :help:

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking of removing the oil pan, I think its the only way to really be able to see under the engine. I saw in a video after you take out the bolts you can just twist it and pull it out, you think that's an ok way to do it?
Found the exact source of that oil leak yet ?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been curious to see how well those Android scopes work. Hopefully you'll have some show & tell photos or video?
If a valve dropped, snapped and broke off, that will be obvious.
A loose/dropped valve seat, you want to look for signs of movement or gaps between the seat and head. Have someone turn the engine over while you watch for a valve seat to slide down as the valves open.

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if its because its my first time, but it seems like my android scope is now stuck in the engine. It seems turning the motor while the scope is inside is not a good idea, and when I tried to turn the opposite way it seemed to go in deeper. So now something for sure is in the engine lol . Anyway, I did manage to take some photos with the scope, make of it what you will, this is from spark plug #+ on the drivers side:

You must be registered for see images

I've been curious to see how well those Android scopes work. Hopefully you'll have some show & tell photos or video?
If a valve dropped, snapped and broke off, that will be obvious.
A loose/dropped valve seat, you want to look for signs of movement or gaps between the seat and head. Have someone turn the engine over while you watch for a valve seat to slide down as the valves open.

Last edited:

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the heck is that? Did the piston self-destruct? There's a weird almost tooth looking thing in the fist two pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I don't know but it looks like a chewed up fan of some sortbut I'm not sure if thats inside the engine or under the vehicle, looking to see what the experts thing, but yes that fan thingy looks pretty bad

What the heck is that? Did the piston self-destruct? There's a weird almost tooth looking thing in the fist two pics.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the tooth looking things is the expander ring. That piston appears to be completely trashed. Something really let loose. Time to pull the heads and have a real good look.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks kind of like a one of the piston rings. There's several on each piston, one kind of looks like tooth thing. IMO it looks shattered in their too. But I'm on my phone squinting.

Edit: this was dropped down the cylinder through the spark plug opening right?

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I do that by hand or do i need a machine? Also do i need to remove the engine from the vehicle first?
I think the tooth looking things is the expander ring. That piston appears to be completely trashed. Something really let loose. Time to pull the heads and have a real good look.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah that's what it's called. Fumbling with my thoughts trying to come up with the correct term.

Do you think the block could have survived?
I think the piston rod snaped from the looks, well maybe.

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, dropped through the spark plug hole, if you have any suggestions on how to get it out i am all ears
It looks kind of like a one of the piston rings. There's several on each piston, one kind of looks like tooth thing. IMO it looks shattered in their too. But I'm on my phone squinting.

Edit: this was dropped down the cylinder through the spark plug opening right?