Bought a non-working '02 Liberty, where to start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. Sorry. It may be caught up in the debris. You can try fishing it around it , feeding it some line , might free up. It's kind of like getting a line snagged on a log.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. Sorry. It may be caught up in the debris. You can try fishing it around it , feeding it some line , might free up. It's kind of like getting a line snagged on a log.

Sigh. Can I lift the heads off with the engine still in the car? Would like to see if the block can be saved

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I do that by hand or do i need a machine? Also do i need to remove the engine from the vehicle first?

Removing the heads when you know things are bad isn't too bad but I'm thinking you'd be better off just pulling the whole engine. Most likely the block hasn't done too well if a piston did that. Looks like the piston is all twisted and I'm pretty sure it trashed that cylinder. To me that means a rebuilt engine would be easier.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh. Can I lift the heads off with the engine still in the car? Would like to see if the block can be saved

If you can get a service manual, the instructions are very clear and, yes, the heads can be removed without pulling the block. I replaced my headgaskets a few years back and it was time-consuming but even a novice like me did it. I doubt this block can be saved.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much point in just pulling the heads , pull the engine .

True.

Even if the block is good there is a lot of rebuilding to do that can't be done in vehicle.

My old gunked up motor that after autopsy needed a pan clean and new oil pick up tube was a bear to do that job in vehicle so I swapped it out with a 2012 Liberty motor. What year is this KJ again?

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do go think if I pull the heads ill be able to get a closeup look of the debris inside the engine?
If you can get a service manual, the instructions are very clear and, yes, the heads can be removed without pulling the block. I replaced my headgaskets a few years back and it was time-consuming but even a novice like me did it. I doubt this block can be saved.

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a 2002.
True.

Even if the block is good there is a lot of rebuilding to do that can't be done in vehicle.

My old gunked up motor that after autopsy needed a pan clean and new oil pick up tube was a bear to do that job in vehicle so I swapped it out with a 2012 Liberty motor. What year is this KJ again?

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is the consensus to find a new engine?

As far as I'm concerned , YES !

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a 2002.

Ok. You have a lot of options. I was hoping it was newer because it almost a drop in of the newer motor. It's a lot of work to fix old the motor if it is salvageable, I'd look for a motor to swap in. I think you'd be better off.
Fixing that motor may become a money pit. It's easy to get suckered in to making do with what you have but to do it right the parts list will keep growing.
Plus there is is a ton of debris to clean out from the self-destruction.

Last edited:

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes.

I think the link on this page may get you a copy (PDF) of the 02 FSM.

2002 Jeep Liberty KJ Repair Service Manual

Lots of good info in the real service manual.

Is this something he will be able to repair easily? Keep it simple? I'm thinking of how its become a expanding job. IMO It's a tough call.
If the block is good and the cylinder heads ok, it might be buttoned up rather simply.

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can I check if the block is salvageable? Would I need to pull the oil pan?

Ok. You have a lot of options. I was hoping it was newer because it almost a drop in of the newer motor. It's a lot of work to fix old the motor if it is salvageable, I'd look for a motor to swap in. I think you'd be better off.
Fixing that motor may become a money pit. It's easy to get suckered in to making do with what you have but to do it right the parts list will keep growing.
Plus there is is a ton of debris to clean out from the self-destruction.

tenpin3000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So to my understanding, the only moving parts in the engine are the cylinder heads and the pistons right? So technically if the block isn't busted open I can just replace those and be ok? I'm assuming I may need a machine shop?

Is this something he will be able to repair easily? Keep it simple? I'm thinking of how its become a expanding job. IMO It's a tough call.
If the block is good and the cylinder heads ok, it might be buttoned up rather simply.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'd be easier to pull the head. If you have to pull the pan, just pull the motor out.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So to my understanding, the only moving parts in the engine are the cylinder heads and the pistons right? So technically if the block isn't busted open I can just replace those and be ok? I'm assuming I may need a machine shop?

Maybe. If the damage is limited. There may be a hole in the cylinder walls or through parts of the block. You'll probable have to do something about the crankshaft.

If you want to try to save the block pull the heads, if it isn't going to work it's not completely wasted, it'll be easier to pull the motor out.
Or find a short block already rebuilt if the cylinder heads are ok (long block is a complete motor, short is usually just the block minus heads.)
Personally I'd try to find a used replacement. Put all you efforts in a direction you'll know will pay off with a running jeep.

Members online

No members online now.