Bilstein/OME Lift suggestion by TomMudd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SinewStew

Reaction score
Tom, I saw this suggestion on a post of yours a few days ago:

Bilstein: F4-BE5-D916-H0 - Front Strut

Bilstein: F4-BE5-6458-H7 - Rear Shocks

OME: 2927 - Front Springs

OME: 948 - Rear Springs

I like the idea of this combo but Bilstein F4-BE5-6458-H7 are not made for the Jeep Liberty. How does this work?

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that the (F4-BE5-6458-H7) rear shocks are longer than stock to ensure there is enough movement to keep from popping the shocks with the longer travel that a lift provides.

Tom will chime in with a definite answer if I am wrong

SinewStew

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I assumed too but I'm wondering about how well it fits if it's not made for the KJ?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that the (F4-BE5-6458-H7) rear shocks are longer than stock to ensure there is enough movement to keep from popping the shocks with the longer travel that a lift provides.

Tom will chime in with a definite answer if I am wrong

Yeah, that's what I assumed too but I'm wondering about how well it fits if it's not made for the KJ?

Yep, Joe is correct. The shock you've listed is for a Dodge Dakota 4X4 - and is used on the KJ purely for its longer length. Since the 948 rear springs will lift the KJ slightly higher that stock the longer shocks are needed to prevent them from being over-extended when the KJ's rear axle is flexed.

The shock will fit fine expect for a couple of washers needed on the upper mount. The shock's upper bushing isn't quite long/wide enough to fit snugly in the mount; two washers on each upper bushing will prevent the Jeep's shock mount from being crushed/distorted when the bolt is tightened.

P.S. That shock/spring combo is the exact kit I'm running on my '03 :waytogo:

Bob

SinewStew

Reaction score
How do you like your set up? I am considering just going all OME as well. I've heard that OME Shocks are a bit rougher on the road, etc. I have also considered going with Bilstein 4600's all around with Moog Stock Springs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OME and Bilstein are not that much different
Personally I like the Ironman setup a little more , driven with every conceivable combination

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Does one need a new A-Arm when installing a 1.5 lift?

There really isn't a 1.5 inch lift, OME gives you 2.5 with the 927/948 combo, the Ironman comes in with 2.25 with no extras on either one
If you stay under 3.25 or so you can run stock UCAs , anything much over that its a good idea and great upgrade

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely check your upper ball joints before buying the lift! If they are shot you might as well get the JBA a-arms.

Franky

Reaction score
I am also considering the O.M.E. mediam springs / O.M.E. shocks or possibly Bilstein shocks.

For 04 KJ Dailey driver & occasional. mediam level offroading With 238,000 Miles .

What about bump stops - extended brake hoses , etc ???

The coils on my front springs
have sagged sooo bad
THEY ALMOST TOUCH EACH OTHER!
Time to COMPLETELY go through
my steering & suspension
and do it RIGHT the first time !

Any input or comments would be GREATLY APPRECIATED .

Thanks, Frank

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am also considering the O.M.E. mediam springs / O.M.E. shocks or possibly Bilstein shocks.

For 04 KJ Dailey driver & occasional. mediam level offroading With 238,000 Miles .

What about bump stops - extended brake hoses , etc ???

The coils on my front springs
have sagged sooo bad
THEY ALMOST TOUCH EACH OTHER!
Time to COMPLETELY go through
my steering & suspension
and do it RIGHT the first time !

Any input or comments would be GREATLY APPRECIATED .

Thanks, Frank

Some like the 926 front springs, personally only rode in one with them, all that I do are 927s for the front ( 56-57 KJs now with that setup I've done ) with 948 rear springs. Good setup
With the proper shocks, bumpstops good to go for 1000's of miles of enjoyment

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your front brake lines will be fun on a 2.5" lift. The rear you can make a $10 drop bracket from Home Depot/Lowes. If you go into the how-to section I have a thread on how to make the brake line drop bracket for the rear.