Best differential for mostly on road/snow use

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03kjlmtd

Reaction score
I have a 2003 jeep liberty 4x4 with open differentials. I just need something for mostly on road use. I do some light off roading, but I need something to help me for days with heavy snow where I need to get up steep hills. What kind of differential should I get? Where is the best place to purchase it at, and how much does it cost to be installed typically? Thanks

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
The differentials already installed in your 4x4 should be sufficient... or are you really asking about lockers?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For a locker or LSD, probably figure on $400 for an ok one, and about $500-$700 on labor, per front/rear.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
For mostly street/snow use as you said, and occasional off-road use etc, consider a Detroit True-Trac which would be good as it is a limited slip as opposed to a non-selectable locker.

Open diffs with good tires and 4wd work too if you know how to use the throttle in the snow/ice.

Dave

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Have had good results on road in snow with open diffs. decent tires. Lockers seem to cause the vehicle to slide sideways whereas open diff. the non-pulling tire stabilizes the vehicle.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have had good results on road in snow with open diffs. decent tires. Lockers seem to cause the vehicle to slide sideways whereas open diff. the non-pulling tire stabilizes the vehicle.

X's two
My 70 Bronco ended up rolling over due to a Detroit locker, lots of snow/ice and it taking off sideways, short wheelbase etc all contrbuted to it as well

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
me personally, i'm used to driving with a locker, so i hate my open diff with a passion. when i punch it going thru a corner, i WANT the rear end to slide! i'll be putting in a so-called "lunchbox locker" (powertrax, aussie) as soon as i get the chance.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you're used to it or not, not a big fan, of course a little different say in the flatter areas like Columbus etc. than when you're trying to make it up a hill with steep bank on one side and nothing but a 50 foot drop on the other.
Or fun around town, everyday driving , not at all

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're used to it or not, not a big fan, of course a little different say in the flatter areas like Columbus etc. than when you're trying to make it up a hill with steep bank on one side and nothing but a 50 foot drop on the other.
Or fun around town, everyday driving , not at all

been there too....one winter my dad was trying to get up some back hilly road in his 74 f100 2wd. luckily he had some wood in the back for weight or we would've been stuck, however he was able to "walk" it up the hill with the truck pointing about 45* to the left, while he had the front wheels cranked to the right....the whole while i was looking out my window at the bank off the right side of the road. i'm pretty sure that was with an open diff, but needless to say, it worked.

i had a powertrax no-slip in my ranger, 33" tires, 4.10 gears, and that thing would go anywhere. they drive different, so if you can learn quickly and without incident, in the long run i feel better with a locker than an open rear end. that being said, i won't argue that they are better than an ARB or some of the other lockers out there....i'm just saying that they get the job done.

03kjlmtd

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies..I'm contemplating keeping it open, but I'd like for my jeep to have less slip when going to up steep hills. My friends 07 4runner has a LSD. I don't think it's quite as capable - or he's just a bad driver off road, but when I drive his car I can floor it in the snow and it will just launch forward with no slip. I would just like the extra confidence driving in my jeep.

Could anyone please link me to a legit place where I can possibly order lockers/lsd? I'm looking for the best value, not necessarily the BEST product. Thanks for the help.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Best value will not be the best driveable though as a DD
or just go to Jeep and get a stock limited slip they're good for 40-50,000 miles at least and more user friendly for a DD than a trashlock etc

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies..I'm contemplating keeping it open, but I'd like for my jeep to have less slip when going to up steep hills. My friends 07 4runner has a LSD. I don't think it's quite as capable - or he's just a bad driver off road, but when I drive his car I can floor it in the snow and it will just launch forward with no slip. I would just like the extra confidence driving in my jeep.

Could anyone please link me to a legit place where I can possibly order lockers/lsd? I'm looking for the best value, not necessarily the BEST product. Thanks for the help.

Well, the cheapest route is gonna be a locker (Powertrax or Aussie - http://www.jeeperz-creeperz.com/man...-aussie-locker-chrysler-29spline-p-87375.html or http://www.rocky-road.com/noslip.html)

Anything else...you'll have to pay for install and setup...and with an air locker, you're in it for $800 for the locker plus air accessories.

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask this question for some time: What exactly is a locker? Is it the same as posi-trac?

Say you've got a rear wheel drive truck whose differential has posi-trac. Wouldn't that mean that power is going to both rear wheels in equal amounts at all times? Can a locker be controlled by the driver? In other words, if it can, wouldn't it be like posi-trac on demand?

If I'm asking ******** questions it's because I simply don't know a whole lot about differentials.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask this question for some time: What exactly is a locker? Is it the same as posi-trac?

Say you've got a rear wheel drive truck whose differential has posi-trac. Wouldn't that mean that power is going to both rear wheels in equal amounts at all times? Can a locker be controlled by the driver? In other words, if it can, wouldn't it be like posi-trac on demand?

If I'm asking ******** questions it's because I simply don't know a whole lot about differentials.

You're on the right track. I'm not sure about the difference between a "posi" rear-end versus a limited-slip, but I can tell you a limited slip uses friction or torque clutches to attempt to make both wheels spin. Limited slips can still only direct power to one of the two wheels, when the amount of force from the drive-train exceeds the amount of friction that is attempting to force both rear wheels to spin.

Lockers do just that....they lock both rear axles together within the differential. There are automatic lockers (Powertrax, Aussie, for example) then there are air lockers (ARB).

Auto-lockers work by allowing one wheel to spin faster than the other as long as there isn't an excessive amount of force being applied by the drive-train. For instance when going through a turn, you usually let off the gas a bit, coast thru, then apply force to accelerate out of the turn. The locker will allow one wheel to go faster thru the turn, but then as you come out of the turn and force is reapplied, the locker will re-engage.

Air lockers are controlled by the driver...you are either locked or you are not. You have to have an air-source (onboard compressor, storage tank, plumbing) and this goes to the locker. When you apply air pressure, the locker engages, and will stay engaged until air pressure is released.

Make sense?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best value will not be the best driveable though as a DD
or just go to Jeep and get a stock limited slip they're good for 40-50,000 miles at least and more user friendly for a DD than a trashlock etc
The stock LSD for Jeep is the trashloc.

The best hands down traction aid that the OP is looking for is the Detriot True Trac.yes it requires profesional install but no friction modifiers needed,no clutches to wearout,and just plain works.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The best hands down traction aid that the OP is looking for is the Detriot True Trac.yes it requires profesional install but no friction modifiers needed,no clutches to wearout,and just plain works.

any thing else in the LSD world is a waste of money
when it comes to lockers I feel the same way
auto locker is Detroit the rest are not worth it
selectable lockers are ARB and OX

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good advice tjkj2002, I've been contemplating buying a used LSD axle but now I think I'll pass.

There's a lot of opinions & variables when choosing a locker. Do your research and talk to a few people who have them.

Some of the best drivers I know on the trails don't have lockers but do have experience & skill. I have a YJ with automatic lockers; a Detroit in the rear and a LockRite up front. Sure it will go anywhere I point it but I tend to have more fun with my Libby with it's open axles.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the factory trashlock until it broke and damaged my pinion bearing. I went with a DTT and couldn't be happier. I would have upgraded to it immediately if I had known the difference.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tossing around ideas for the next round of mods to the KJ. If I start wheeling more, I'm thinking of LSD in the rear.
I'm curios to what else is involved in installing a Detroit Tru-trac?
I realize that it is a professional install item, but is there anything else that needs to be done/upgraded at the same time?

Is this the correct item?
http://completeoffroad.com/i-125416-truetrac-posi-chrysler-8-25-tt-912a553-29-spline.html

Any ballpark idea of install time/costs?