Best differential for mostly on road/snow use

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

|V3nom|

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a way to check if the "trashloc", as its called here lol, is bad or does it just go out and grenade everything? saw somewhere that you can jack up the rear, put it in neutral, and spin one tire and the other tire should spin in the same direction if it works. mine has 155k so i figured id check.

looking at getting the truetrac if mine goes out. saw good reviews on it as far as daily drivability which is what i want for my 2wd which sees mostly pavement with an occasional gravel road, grass field, and mudding. definitely want something that will give me real 2wd and not a one wheel wonder lol.

last weekend i went mudding with a wrangler and got stuck big time lol, guess that happens in a 2wd limited. part of the problem was one tire having more weight on it than the other and making the light one spin and not letting the other turn at all. could hear the diff clicking like its trying to engage the lsd. tried the brake trick but couldnt get it to work but i hear the dtt works good with that if you get one tire in the air. figured that couldve helped me get unstuck easier or keep from getting stuck in the first place.

guess i should ask first if the 04 limited with the towing package even came with tracloc, didnt come with tow hooks either but most tibbys didnt from what i understand. i feel like it spins both in the dirt, wet grass, wet pavement, gravel, and mud when its a hard bottom and not thick, pretty much any slick surface. last time we went mudding the guy behind me said they were both spinning so i dont know.

figured id ask if it came with it first to see if i should even go through the effort of checking it. havent checked for the green sticker yet but i dont want it to not be there and me just assume it didnt come with it in case it came off while mudding or washing off.

thanks in advance.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry to let you down, but I'm pretty sure no 2WD KJ came with the LSD. Even my 4x4 with the tow package didn't...only way to get it was in the Off Road package.

|V3nom|

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not let down at all. i get stuck with one tire spinning so it really doesnt matter if it has lsd or not since it wouldnt work if it did have it. thanks for the reply. guess that means theres a truetrac in the future works for me. ;)