Auxillary Lights Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Mockelman

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Rocky Mountain edition and want to put some Hella 500 lights on the front bumper. Is there any light bar that will work with it.

You must be registered for see images

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hella fog lights can on some Renegade models. There is the steel frame under bumper cover that you can attach lights to

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I might have some measurements and notes on where to drill for lights. I'll look for it.

There's a black plastic insert that's flush to the bumper cover in some places but not others. You want to drill centered in the flush areas to have enough rigidity in both pieces of plastic to hold a light. I haven't mounted any lights, I just measured for the future while it was all apart.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you mount that right to the kj bumper? Pics?

Unnecessary to use that...

As Tom said, there is a section of steel frame bracketry under the bumper cover that you can drill down into... it's what's used on the factory installed bumper-mounted lights. It's what I did after I got the courage to drill into a brand new bumper cover. It was perhaps one of the best things I did to the KJ. Easily top 3.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
My KJ is a 2005 Sport so the bumper cover is different from the Rocky Mountain edition and I haven't drilled my bumper or attached anything to it. I don't know if there would be contact with the steel frame under the bumper cover that tommudd mentioned.

What I did was measure the two big plastic parts and dimple the bumper cover for drill points in the future. I came up with 6 points that look good. They're all 3" out from where the bumper cover has a lip under the grill. Just lay a 6" rule on the bumper and set it against the lip. The other three measurements are from the straight fore-aft line created by the side bolsters and the flat center part of the bumper cover. (2005 Sport; Early model bumpers and Rocky Mountain are different! Maybe Renegade too?) 8", 12", and 17" are what I came up with. 17" holes are closest to the center of the jeep.

If someone tries this and drills into stuff or gets jittery lights let me know and I'll offer my condolences and a beer for your bumper and remove these measurements. Aaaannnd I can remeasure from the middle of the bumper and post those dimensions if that would help the non-Sport 2005 bunch.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ is a 2005 Sport so the bumper cover is different from the Rocky Mountain edition and I haven't drilled my bumper or attached anything to it. I don't know if there would be contact with the steel frame under the bumper cover that tommudd mentioned.

What I did was measure the two big plastic parts and dimple the bumper cover for drill points in the future. I came up with 6 points that look good. They're all 3" out from where the bumper cover has a lip under the grill. Just lay a 6" rule on the bumper and set it against the lip. The other three measurements are from the straight fore-aft line created by the side bolsters and the flat center part of the bumper cover. (2005 Sport; Early model bumpers and Rocky Mountain are different! Maybe Renegade too?) 8", 12", and 17" are what I came up with. 17" holes are closest to the center of the jeep.

If someone tries this and drills into stuff or gets jittery lights let me know and I'll offer my condolences and a beer for your bumper and remove these measurements. Aaaannnd I can remeasure from the middle of the bumper and post those dimensions if that would help the non-Sport 2005 bunch.

I would think on the 05+ you could do as I did and just look underneath. I could see the metal frame extensions on mine... then kinda back your head off and you can visually align where those extensions are in relation to the bumper. All of the 05+ bumpers I've seen are either flat all the way across, or have a much wider "step down" in the middle. The factory driving lamp spot in the grille is to either side of the grille slats, and the frame extension is about under the outermost slats.

The 05+ Renegades mount lights here... so no reason why you cannot either. The bits are there, you just have to drill the holes in the right spot.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Measured from the center out to the sides the three, (on each side), places I marked are 6", 11", and 15" from center of Jeep.