LED light bar on bumper, I've been searching!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sirhk100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of, I've been using the search button and found a couple potential threads that I've bumped but most of them have been pretty old so not sure if I'll get replies on them.

I'm searching for info on mounting like a 10"-25" wide LED light bar on the front bumper and saw some discussion here on the topic of where to mount... Has anyone mounted on on the bumper? I'm not concerned about drilling and having to possibly fab some support under the bumper but I want to make sure there's at least something under there to tie into if needed to support it. It's a xmas gift idea for my Dad and I'm sure I'll be the one doing the install. Fab wise, I'm not concerned but if it's going to involve a 2 day project to rebuild half the front clip to give it some support where it doesn't just flex around then I'll abandon the gift idea. Any pictures or word or info on mounting a LED light bar on the front bumpers of these KJ's? I'd look myself but I haven't been able to get a peep under the front of his jeep when he hasn't been present and I know he'll put 2 and 2 together if he sees me poking around it...

Thanks

sirhk100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man! Huge thanks for that picture with the bumper off! That sealed the deal! I just wanted to make sure there was something other then just a plastic bumper to mount off of. I'll check out that light bar also and then decide if I want to just make one myself or spend the money on that one too.

Either way, thanks again! That is 100% for sure helpful for what I was looking for info wise. I'll post up some pictures after xmas cause like I said, I'm about 100% sure I'll be the one doing the install after I give it to him... Figure maybe someone else would find it helpful. I bumped a bunch of threads yesterday in my searches and didn't really find anyone saying they'd done something similar.

nocTurNalX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never tried it yet but sure will be easy. Update us how it turns out

sirhk100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gyro, thanks again for those pictures above! Last week we pulled the bumper off the jeep...

Well actually let me try to write out what we did, I was focused on just getting it mounted and done rather then taking pictures so all I have is the finished shot. This is off memory so forgive me if it's not 100% perfect but it would probably be enough to get others thru the process if they wanted. I elected to do a bit of welding but you could've used riv-nuts to secure solidly or possibly even sheet metal screws to do what we did. Welding is just quick and easy though for me with my setup...

• First off... Positioned the light bar on the bumper where we wanted it and using a paint marker marked where the holes for the mounting brackets would be.
  • Removed the plastic grill that simply unclips off the front end very easily.
  • Removed the bumper... Two bolts on the bottom and two bolts that were hidden behind the grill just removed previously and the rest is clips if I remember right, one plug on each side as well for the lights in the bumper.
  • Once the bumper was off, we checked the bottom side of the bumper to see what we were working with. There's an internal plastic support structure and that's it so we drilled the plastic bumper where we marked for the mounts.
  • Removed the plastic header that the lights all mount too. It's a couple bolts and one main plug to pull the entire assembly off as one.
  • Slid the bumper back into place now with all the front grill and header pieces removed and took some measurements between the holes drilled and the chassis so I could get a rough idea in space once the bumper was removed where I would need to be working. This didn't have to be perfectly exact as I was going to be using about a 1.5" wide strap of steel to use as a mounting base so I just had to make sure the light landed somewhere on it.
  • What we found is there's about a 1" gap between the bottom surface of the plastic bumper and the top of the sheet metal. I fabbed up a spacer that I welded to the top of the sheet metal on both sides a few inches back from where the holes were going to be. Off the top of those spacers I welded a strap of steel that would stick out and slide below the bumber surface but above the plastic piece that's internally inside the bumper.
  • At this point we bolted the header piece back in place with the lights and everything.
  • Slid the bumper back into place... This took a couple attempts as I had to shape the steel strap a bit to allow the bumper to slide on fully and I had to trim the internal plastic piece a little bit to clear the spacers I made. Once the bumper was in position to where it would just naturally bolt back into place I marked my location on the steel brackets I welded in using the mounting holes I drilled early on in the bumper as my guide, slid the bumper back off and drilled the holes in the steel plates. Slid the bumper back into place and bolted it in.
  • I had a wrench that I was able to slide between the bumper and the chassis sheet metal and we installed the light.
  • snapped the grill back into place and done...
  • wired it up using a relay with the high beam headlight circuit to actually supply the switched power to the relay. We powered the relay direct off the battery using a fused line obviously but the highbeam circuit triggers the relay and we still have an on/off switch for the LED as well. This makes it so when the switch is ON you simply hit the highbeam selector to kick the LED bar on and off. Turn the switch off though and you're right back to standard high beams. That's how I have wired all of my offroad lights on all my vehicles.

Anyways, that may not be 100% as it's off memory and sorry I don't have pics to accompany that install but if you dive into it, I bet it'll make sense along the way.

You must be registered for see images attach

sirhk100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, the finished project results in two mounting holes drilled in the plastic bumper and that's it visually as far as modifications go. Everything else is 100% completely hidden underneath the bumper and the light is mounted very solid and securely. Just mounting to the bumper it would likely move and flex and bounce around a bit being plastic. Also, pictured above is a 32" wide bar for reference if anyone is curious that stumbles on this in the future.

Like I said, I hunted around quite a bit and surprisingly enough I couldn't find anyone that had mounted a light bar. I'm definitely not saying I'm the first as I'd be absolutely shocked but finding pictures or info was a bust when I looked around before making the purchase.

Last edited:

karljp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To those who have LED light bar on the plastic bumper, does it shake over rough roads?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
To those who have LED light bar on the plastic bumper, does it shake over rough roads?

Not if you bolt it down through the front frame horns, other wise just bolting to the plastic, yes it would

HoltzKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

I was looking to put a light bar on my bumper too, it is a 20" LED bar. What are your suggestions on getting a metal plate from the frame to the underside of the bumper so i have a steady surface to mount it on?
Thanks

So turns out this actually isn't necessary, at all! Your bumpers will be able to hold it in place very well without any shaking/moving around. It does require drilling into the bumper but it does also look AMAZING! Check my thread for a picture

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/led-light-bar-front-bumper-59512/#post679054

HoltzKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not if you bolt it down through the front frame horns, other wise just bolting to the plastic, yes it would

Actually, mine holds great in the plastic, under the light bar mounting brackets I have a locking washer and another large washer so there is no chance of my light bar falling off because of an open hole. It also doesnt shake or move while on or off road. :shrug: