ATF found on trans pan bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just wrapped up an oil change on the KJ and a few of the trans pan bolts had a drop of ATF on the heads. There's no fluid around where the pan bolts to the trans (not dripping from the gasket), just on the head of a few of the bolts.

The trans was rebuilt in June, have put about 6k on it. It went back at 500 miles for a checkup and then at about 1500 miles for a checkup and they didn't say anything. Fluid level is good, right below the top hot mark.

I cleaned it up, so I'll see if it comes back. But should I plan on taking it back? Or could that be normal if they didn't wipe it down good?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like it is under warranty HJ.
What brand of gasket did they use on the R2RLE? (very particular x3 torquing required)
Or did you mean RTV? Or a Mopar Sealant?
Keep an eye on it, sounds like weeping at a few bolt holes, but often that is where ends up.
IDK cant find it, but some mention bolt 5 requires locktite/sealant.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I can't remember what they used. I think a gasket but I'm not 100% sure.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say keep an eye on the bolts and if fluid ends up back on the same bolts, take it in without cleaning the fluid off.. at least then they won't question you, but rather question their own work. Also will give them an idea of where to inspect the gasket..
Plus this way you don't have to pay for the new fluid :gr_grin:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's what I'm leaning towards (just keeping an eye on it for now). Don't really have time before Christmas, but it's not major. I'll just keep an eye on it.

Would it be worth checking the torque with a torque wrench or could that make it worse?

Not sure if the 42 has that sensor. It's not coming from high up. Literally just the bolt heads have stuff on them. The pan doesn't at all nor does the mating area.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if the 42 has that sensor. It's not coming from high up. Literally just the bolt heads have stuff on them. The pan doesn't at all nor does the mating area.

That's what I thought on mine too, but the sensor was fairly low and I couldn't even tell it was leaking until I removed it to swap out the Oring.

Aside from that, you could put a torque wrench to the pan bolts just to make sure they held the proper torque. I've used a gasket a few times and they always seem to have issues with holding the torque. RTV is much better at that. Of course, if you have a warranty, then I'd let them worry about that. :gr_grin:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely worth checking with a torque wrench IMO. Cant really hurt much, especially if you use the proper specs.
You take it to a Trans shop or the dealer? If just a shop, they might not have has access to the specs for the proper torquing sequence..
My guess is that they just started at one bolt and went around the pan torquing as they go, rather than any cross patterns or sequences used to ensure that the gasket remains flat and fully seated between the pan and trans in all areas..

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Took it to a trans shop.

If I can get the torque wrench on there without taking the skid off I'll do it, otherwise it's their problem.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if it's a Trans shop hopefully they were knowledgeable enough to get everything else done correctly and only forgot to properly torque/sequence the bolts. But I'd definitely make sure when you take it in there's fluid on the bolt heads again so they don't give you the old run around and say it's good to go.
But I'm sure that's a problem for after the holidays.. if you go in before, tell them all you want for Christmas is their competence :D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Too many potential hangover's during the Holiday Season...
57857[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I'd wait.. until well into the New Years ! :gr_grin:

Attachments

• Bert%20Beer.gif
    Bert%20Beer.gif
    985.6 KB · Views: 0

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if Im not mistaken, the only externally accessible sensors on the 42rle are the two speed sensors on the river sides. You should be able to track it to the sensors if it is leaking from the sensors.

which bolt is fluid leaking out from?
I remember Leeann said that there's a bolt for the 42rle requiring RTV. maybe that was for the 45rfe. not sure. still looking around. it's not in the fsm.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if it's a Trans shop hopefully they were knowledgeable enough to get everything else done correctly and only forgot to properly torque/sequence the bolts. But I'd definitely make sure when you take it in there's fluid on the bolt heads again so they don't give you the old run around and say it's good to go.
But I'm sure that's a problem for after the holidays.. if you go in before, tell them all you want for Christmas is their competence :D

^^classic......LOL

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
if Im not mistaken, the only externally accessible sensors on the 42rle are the two speed sensors on the river sides. You should be able to track it to the sensors if it is leaking from the sensors.

which bolt is fluid leaking out from?
I remember Leeann said that there's a bolt for the 42rle requiring RTV. maybe that was for the 45rfe. not sure. still looking around. it's not in the fsm.

It would be the driver's side back corner one I think.

Thank you!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just torqued them all down, they were all loose. Got about 3/4-1 of a turn on them before the torque wrench clicked. Hopefully that does it.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just torqued them all down, they were all loose. Got about 3/4-1 of a turn on them before the torque wrench clicked. Hopefully that does it.

This has been my experience with gaskets. What is the torque setting for the 42RLE? The 45RFE is only like 105 inch/lbs. I thought the 42RLE was more so maybe they went with the torque specs for the wrong ******?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Each gasket has their own torque specs, but this may be close.
With RTV sealant it is 14.5 ft pounds.
57859[/ATTACH]"]

The lubelocker gasket is quality and has the following 5 and 14.5 ft/lbs specs & sequence:
57861[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• 42RLE%20Specs.jpg
    42RLE%20Specs.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 0
  • LubeLocker%2042RLE%20Specs.jpg
    LubeLocker%2042RLE%20Specs.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks. They probably had about 5 on them and then I went through and did 15 until all of them were snug and clicked as soon as I put the wrench on them.