ATF found on trans pan bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This has been my experience with gaskets. What is the torque setting for the 42RLE? The 45RFE is only like 105 inch/lbs. I thought the 42RLE was more so maybe they went with the torque specs for the wrong ******?

Could be. I've never used a gasket, always rtv so good to know that's it's normal to have to retorque them.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my 42RLE rebuilt about 10000 km ago and I have the same thing I have wiped it clean and it returned. I believe bolt 5 is supposed to have a sealing patch but mine didn't appear to have it even before the rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like how I post stuff to help and it doesn't get read ......

I read your stuff! Always helpful. :happy107:

Didn't make the connection until now. :gr_grin:
Guess I now know from where that image I found came. Looks like they cropped it from there or an FSM somewhere.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:gr_grin:
I certainly hope so :p

If HJ had to ask about which bolt needed extra TLC after my post then .....

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I like how I post stuff to help and it doesn't get read ......

:gr_grin:
I certainly hope so :p

If HJ had to ask about which bolt needed extra TLC after my post then .....

Lol sorry! I read your posts when you posted them but forgot they were there! I used that how to you linked to for the toque spec.

In a few days or a week I'll get under and look at #5. The specific one that had stuff on it was in a corner, so not #5, but after I got the skid off most of them had a drip on the heads.

Last edited:

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the question I have is mopar lock and seal adhesive is this something you need if using a gasket ie. does RTV do the same thing

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the question I have is mopar lock and seal adhesive is this something you need if using a gasket ie. does RTV do the same thing

You need some type of thread sealant regardless of what method you use for a gasket. This just goes on that one bolt. Pretty sure any thread sealant will work and I've heard people just use blue locktight.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol sorry! I read your posts when you posted them but forgot they were there! I used that how to you linked to for the toque spec.

In a few days or a week I'll get under and look at #5. The specific one that had stuff on it was in a corner, so not #5, but after I got the skid off most of them had a drip on the heads.

:p
no worries. just busting your chops.

any signs of leaks from the speed sensors on the driver side?
two are the only sensors you can access from the outside. The passenger side I believe is a pressure sensor but you can only disconnect/reconnect the connector. you'll need to drop the pan to replace the sensor.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Didn't check those, if it still drips after re torquing them, I'll just take it back in. Good idea though. I would've thought those would be new anyway. I didn't really see a drip coming from any higher than the bolts.

Latest posts

Members online