Front drive shaft bolt sizes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

birddog777

Reaction score
I am looking for the bolt sizes for a 2010 jeep liberty sport 4x4, 3.7. For new front drive shaft.
I ordered some online but they are not fitting properly.
The 6 rear CV bolts are too short. And the front bolt won't go into the pinion end of the differential. Only go in so far maybe a millimeter when I tried one bolt. I don't want to force it on and strip it.
I had changed the front diff to another good used one few months ago.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20231229_161445922.jpg
    IMG_20231229_161445922.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20231229_161339496.jpg
    IMG_20231229_161339496.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20231229_172941281.jpg
    IMG_20231229_172941281.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The larger bolt is marked 10.9 that is a metric high tensile mark, I think the KJ was almost all metric but some bits are imperial. Don't you have the original bolts to re-use?
If not take the bolt to a shop and buy the nearest size (or 2 if they are close) imperial bolt, that should identify the thread.
You may have to talk to a few suppliers to get what you need, your bolt, assuming it is imperial, is known as - a high tensile grade 8 flanged hex head screw.
I'm in the UK, not sure if it has a different name in the US? But hopefully that will help you.

birddog777

Reaction score
The larger bolt is marked 10.9 that is a metric high tensile mark, I think the KJ was almost all metric but some bits are imperial. Don't you have the original bolts to re-use?
If not take the bolt to a shop and buy the nearest size (or 2 if they are close) imperial bolt, that should identify the thread.
You may have to talk to a few suppliers to get what you need, your bolt, assuming it is imperial, is known as - a high tensile grade 8 flanged hex head screw.
I'm in the UK, not sure if it has a different name in the US? But hopefully that will help you.
Thanks, I will try looking around for similar bolts at hardware store. When I had the jeep at garage for repairs months ago they removed the front drive shaft because it was vibrating due to CV bearings going. Thinking if I ordered a new shaft later, bolts would come with it, but they didn't come with the new shaft. I went back to garage months later to see if they still had the old bolts but they couldn't find them.

birddog777

Reaction score
Okay. I just went and tried the front bolt on the pinion again. It went on. With some determined carefully turning. Had to lightly hit it in with a hammer on the one hole it didn't want to go in. I screwed the bolt on all 4 to clean them of any debris. They went in slowly all the way. Used some WD40. Apparently they were just dirty n slightly rusty from the differential sitting around for a long time.
Now just need to find the longer (6) 8 mm bolts for the rear cv end of drive shaft.
The ones I ordered online were 45 mm long.
I need the longer ones probably like 55-60mm.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.