Are all cigarette lighter outlets "always on" (2006 KJ)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZeroCool84

Reaction score
Hello All,

My 2006 KJ doesn't get driven often and tends to have a drained battery every time I go to drive it (especially in the winter). A quick jump gets her started and she is good for a few more weeks of sitting after a decent drive.

I'm thinking about putting one of those solar panel maintainers on it as it sits outside in the driveway.

The models I'm looking at have a cigarette lighter adapter for vehicles that have "always on" outlets. I guess that also means they can charge the battery from those outlets.

Are both the front and trunk outlets "always on" and capable of solar charging the battery on a 2006 KJ?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Assuming you don’t have a test light.. or anything else to plug in and check. From memory, it is not always on, but I’m not positive.

Stand by … knowledge incoming ;)

Edit : aaaand I was wrong

Last edited:

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the front one on mine is always on, not sure about the one in the cargo area

ZeroCool84

Reaction score
Ha, thanks everyone! I actually did searches before asking the question and most seemed to agree with the front one but couldn't find much for the cargo outlet.

It appears they are both on all the time.

My preference is to use the cargo outlet but I'm assuming the darker privacy glass back there will block some of the solar capabilities...

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front and rear ports are always on.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I was sure it was unpowered for that reason and/or draining the battery by accident. My T****a has only switched power to the outlets.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
The **** like to do things differently; my Suzie has one that is & one that's not (in the front) but then, so, in a sense, do my XJ's which have cigar lighters (switched) & sockets (permanently live) - or is it the other way round?