'07 Front 12v Power Outlet Question

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by Atrus, May 21, 2012.

1. Atrus

Atrus Full Access Member

Dumb question, but...

Is the front outlet (the one under the HVAC panel) in a 2007 Liberty constantly on, or is it only on when the key is set to run or accessory?

I need a concrete answer - I am going to be parking the KJ for a week, and it has a slow drain on the battery. I plan to pick up a cheap solar trickle charger, but I need to make sure it's a constant power outlet, otherwise it won't charge the battery.

Thanks!

2. Dave

Dave Administrator Administrator Moderator

It is constantly on in my 05 so I am guessing they all are for all the model years. Need someone with an 07 to chime in to be sure or plug something into it like a gps and experiment.

Dave

3. Atrus

Atrus Full Access Member

Dave - if your '05 is, I'd assume my '07 is as well.

I just don't have anything here at work to check it. Wanted to throw out an Amazon purchase today so I can hopefully have it in hand on Friday.

I get to pick up another "toy" company car for the week :-D

Thanks for the quick response!

4. Snail Farmer

Snail Farmer Full Access Member

My 04 is constantly powered as well.

5. Atrus

Atrus Full Access Member

Cool, thanks guys. Just ordered it. 1.8w (125ma) from Amazon for $23 shipped. Hopefully it gets here by Friday!

6. Paul M

Paul M Full Access Member

Our 2007 outlet stays on when the key is off. In fact, this became a problem because a phone charger or multioutlet power LED would draw just enough milliamps (as in, almost zero power) that the vehicle computer would stay on - which drew a lot of power - then it'd kill the battery. Really dopey design. Great solution to add a battery tender because, like you mention, there always seems to be a phantom draw on our battery regardless nothing is connected.

7. mwooldri

mwooldri New Member

Not only does the front "cigar lighter socket" stay on all the time, so does the one in the back of the vehicle. It can be a blessing at times - e.g. charging up a flat phone whilst out at the movies... and a curse because yes the battery will have this drain on it.

8. seabass1858

seabass1858 Full Access Member

Its on in my 02 also. Its where my XM radio is plugged in at

9. belvedere

belvedere Full Access Member

Look at the black plastic cover/plug. If it has a battery on it, it's constant. If it has a key on it, it's switched.

10. LaneKJ

LaneKJ Full Access Member

As long as you don't leave anything on or plugged in, your battery should be fine without the trickle charger. Mine was and I would park it weeks at a time last fall. Unless either you've had problems with it before or its not a newish battery. In that case, use the trickle.

11. Cardhu

Cardhu Full Access Member

my 07 stays on constantly. Had to set up my sat radio to power off auto after 6 hours in the winter as it would nuke my battery.

The rear plug is also always on if your running a cooler in the back like we do camping so make sure you unplug everything from them when your leaving for extended periods.

12. Aaron2345

Aaron2345 Full Access Member

This is a good time to make sure that everyone knows to unplug anything especially those cheap phone charges when your not in the car. We've had a few company trucks burn uP just from leaving stuff plugged in over night.

13. badkittystt

badkittystt Full Access Member

What kind of power is behind those outlets? I am very interested in pulling out the cigarette charger and installing a USB row. I have never seen it in a vehicle and I think the way technology is going its ideal.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nyxqqv
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Snail Farmer

Snail Farmer Full Access Member

Don't have an answer to your question, but I like that idea. If you find out, keep us updated. I might want to do the same.

15. LibertyTC

LibertyTC Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Even though cig lighter plug in charging is convenient for smaller items, I am trying to use the 120v inverter approach for many items now. In photo below you can see from a 180 watt cig lighter inverter plug in, I am running notebook with 120 volts no problem. These small units can be moved between vehicles and are handy. Many just hard wire in inverters now-a-days as well, if you need to power tools etc and have a switch to power off, to ensure no overnight drains.
    [​IMG]
    Solar Chargers 15 watt + can help, but honestly having a second power pack can be a blessing as well, this one has built in air pump /booster/inverter etc and I carry for camping & can jump the battery if one is drained overnight. I use the inverter to recharge the power pack too..in rear LOL.
    [​IMG]

16. Atrus

Atrus Full Access Member

I'd have to go look, but I don't think it has any markings on the cap.

Mine has an issue, some kind of slow drain. I actually did not get the solar charger in time, and by the time I got in the Jeep after sitting for 1 week it would not even turn over. Jumped it off the loaner car. Going forward, I'll have the solar trickle charger for times when I have to park it more than a couple days. Yes, it's a band-aid and I am not really addressing the slow drain issue, but I just don't care to even chase it down.

Never really thought of that, thanks for the head's up!

I've thought about picking one of those up. My old man has one and he uses it a ton. I just don't think I'd use it often and it'd sit around a lot.