Anti-theft/keyless device/alarm installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bheiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm wondering what you think about this.

I just purchased an '06 Sport with just under 55K miles. The Carfax report shows this from 2009, at a Dodge dealer:

- Anti-theft/keyless device/alarm installed

The Build Sheet from Chrysler shows it came from the factory with this:

GXMP Remote Keyless Entry

So since it came from the factory with Remote Keyless Entry, my first thought was that the April 2009 installation was an alarm. But I've tried sitting in the car... oops, JEEP :), locking it with the remote, waiting 60 seconds, and opening the door ... but no alarm.

So maybe it was just a REPLACEMENT component? or is there some other way to see if they installed an alarm?

Or could it have been something else?

Any thoughts on this?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The way to check alarm is to:
roll down drivers window.
Lock using FOB
wait one minute...
then pull up the lock knob...
open door...
If it goes off it is working.
Hit panic to turn off horns.

bheiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LibertyTC, I tried the steps you suggested, but wasn't able to come to a conclusion. Maybe I can find out from the dealer that did the work...

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should have the Sentry anti-theft system factory installed. I believe it was standard on all models in '06.

Try this.
Roll down the drivers window. Lock the vehicle with the key fob. Watch the light on the dash. It will start blinking fast. Once it starts blinking slow, unlock the door by pulling up on the door pin and open the door. The alarm should go off.

Ask you dealer if they can print you out a VIP report. It'll show you any work done on it.

Last edited:

bheiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ShafferNY, when I follow those steps, there's no light blinking on the dash.

I'll see if the dealer can provide the VIP report - thanks for the tip!

4wd728

Reaction score
The way to check alarm is to:
roll down drivers window.
Lock using FOB
wait one minute...
then pull up the lock knob...
open door...
If it goes off it is working.
Hit panic to turn off horns.

According to my build sheet, the Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System was listed as an included option on my 2006 model. I followed the instructions above to see if an alarm would go off. There was no blinking light and there was no alarm. The "Bleep" of the horn sounded like other car alarms when they are armed. It does have an operational immobilizer. I have a spare key that does not have that chip in it so I did test it. There is a module around the key cylinder behind the access panel there. The keyless entry on the fob works fine. Is there a diagram somewhere for this alarm to see what is missing? Is the Sentry system just an engine immobilizer? What audible alarm system can be recommended? I would be interested in OEM plug and play if that is still available.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow my quoted post was 10 years ago, nice find 4wd728.
The sentry key is a chip key/immobilizer, and offers basic anti theft protection.
Even in 2006 the actual security alarm was optional.
It appears after locking the doors with FOB & without any visible sentry key security alarm flashing light, you don't have the Mopar security alarm system installed.
The complete alarm description can be found in your owners manual pg 27: https://carmanuals2.com/get/jeep-liberty-2006-owner-s-manual-31126
I did search the 2006 parts fiche & the only mention was the siren, but not the alarm system.
So give the dealer a call with your Vin# and see if the alarm is still available, and post back what you find out.
Otherwise you may have to consider an aftermarket system/alarm.

4wd728

Reaction score
Wow my quoted post was 10 years ago, nice find 4wd728.
The sentry key is a chip key/immobilizer, and offers basic anti theft protection.
Even in 2006 the actual security alarm was optional.
It appears after locking the doors with FOB & without any visible sentry key security alarm flashing light, you don't have the Mopar security alarm system installed.
The complete alarm description can be found in your owners manual pg 27: https://carmanuals2.com/get/jeep-liberty-2006-owner-s-manual-31126
I did search the 2006 parts fiche & the only mention was the siren, but not the alarm system.
So give the dealer a call with your Vin# and see if the alarm is still available, and post back what you find out.
Otherwise you may have to consider an aftermarket system/alarm.
This post is a little late, but I checked around with dealers. So far no one has the OEM alarm system. (I was side tracked with new clutch, hydraulic cylinder, pressure plate, and other fixes.) I will keep looking for something.