Constantly Alarming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Warpc0il

Reaction score
This is my first post here, so please be kind...

We have a 2002 UK-spec 3.7V6 with 106k miles on the clock.

Yesterday, for no apparent reason the alarm went off while she was parked in our very quiet drive.
I took the keys out, pressed the button on the fob and the alarm stopped, for about 10 seconds, then started again. Pressed the buttons again and the alarm just continued.
Unlocked the door with the key and moments later the alarm stopped again, only to take another breath and go off again.

Eventually I found a spanner and disconnected the battery negative, at which point the alarm stopped and stayed quiet.

I left it for ten minutes, with the battery lead off, and then tried re-connecting, and the alarm instantly started going again, until I disconnected, which is how I left it overnight.

The car had been a bit reluctant to start the last time she was used, a few days before, so today I put the battery on charge for 8 hours. The charger said it was "Full" so I tried reconnecting and the alarm sounded as soon as the cable touched the terminal, and wouldn't stop with the fob.

I understand there's various reasons why the alarm can trigger, when the system is armed, like a dodgy switch on the bonnet or tailgate, or a spider in the internal movement detector. However, the alarm is going off even when the system shouldn't be armed.

Any clues as it the cause and/or the cure, would be appreciated.

Warpc0il

Reaction score
My thanks to the 44 of you (so far) that have taken the time to read my post.

The lack of responses is disappointing but at least it suggests that the cause is unlikely to be something obvious, that I should have realised straight away.

However, it is frustrating that the car is effectively unusable until it's sorted.

I did take a look at the electrical diagrams in the only manual I could find, in the hope that I might be able to pull a fuse and disable the alarm without losing any other critical systems, but I couldn't find it on there. Does the US domestic version not have the same alarm as the UK export?

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help with any differences of the alarms, but a jeep of mine in the past went goofy when the battery started going.

I read you charged it, but if you have means to a free load test on the battery it couldn't hurt, or swap in a different battery just to rule it out.

If you have already and that's not it, someone will hopefully chime in with some more in depth help.

Edit* heres a manual that gets shared, I don't know for certain if it has export and all the years, but figured I'd pass it on.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
My jeep didn't come with an alarm but I can verify what JRB said about things going goofy with a failing battery. Usually the rear glass flipping open on its' own. The computers that control everything are finicky about supplied power.

Try charging the battery, check the voltage, and let it sit overnight. Recheck the voltage and see if it dropped. A bad cell will draw the others down. You can also check each cell by putting one lead from a voltmeter on the negative terminal and dipping the other lead into the acid of each cell. A bad cell won't be consistent with the others.

Warpc0il

Reaction score
Thanks, that at least gives me something to work with.

The battery was a bit down, so I took advantage of it being disconnected to give it a real bench charge, rather than just the trickle from the "battery conditioner".

It appeared to be okay after but I think I have another battery I could try.

We have an old people's home next door, so I don't like keep setting the alarm off, even though I suspect half of them are going deaf anyway.

Warpc0il

Reaction score
I think the battery may be the cause of the issue.

Reconnected it this morning and the alarm instantly sounded, though it did stop in response to buttons on the fob.

Left it a few minutes and all was silence.

Got in the car to start the engine but it wasn't having any. Starter chugged a couple of times then just the rattle from the solenoid.

My spare battery is the same dimensions at that fitted but with the terminals the opposite way around, so the cables can't reach.

Anyway, the battery that's currently fitted is clearly the wrong one, as it's too long and rests across the top of the tray and not located down in the recess.

Putting the car registration [PN02 WWE] into various battery checkers either lists the same as fitted, or a selection of up to 6 different sizes (all wrong) or "Nothing Available".

Measuring the tray, the only one I can find that should fit is a Yuasa YBX3214, which is as fitted to the Kia Sportage.

Local retailer is checking their suppliers for stock.

It's here https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx3214/ for £59.99, until you put in a delivery address in NI, when the price goes up to £5,056.95!!!!!

Attachments

• Tayna £4,166.67 delivery (2).jpg
    Tayna £4,166.67 delivery (2).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your Export Jeep have a console type box located on the ceiling about dead center inside the Jeep? This is a form of movement detector. Let us know if you have this.

If you lock the door with the Remote then unlock the door with the key the alarm should go off no matter what alarm is fitted. So if you have a suspect door lock that could cause a problem.

The more basic Alarm for the Export Jeeps...such as I have....have the hood sensor switch on the RHS of the engine bay aiming upwards to detect if the hood had been opened while doors are locked.
This may have a bad connector or the contacts may be failing...either way disconnect the connector to it and that will disable the alarm!

And fit a good battery!

Download the 2002 Jeep KJ Service Manual here....there is a good write up on how the alarms work, section 8W has the wiring diagrams.

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Use a standard group 34 battery (top post) try to find one in 700 or greater cold cranking amps.
AGM- absorb glass mat batteries are sealed, they wont corrode battery terminals.
Ensure there is no corrosion, & that cables are clean & tight.
My Jeep has an Odyssey pc-1500-34/78 still working at almost 10 years now.
You must be registered for see images attach