Remove Start and OEM Alarm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Techdad

Reaction score
I purchased an 06 KJ Renegade as a fixer upper. The used car dealer had been using it as their own errand truck. It has the Mopar PC-12 remote start module. The local Jeep dealer said, according to the VIN number, it was factory installed. But the PC-12 is dated 6/7/06. The Liberty build date is 8/30/05. I suspect the RS was added to the VIN number as a dealer installed option (it was a leased vehicle). Or the module was defective and replaced a some point. Also, the wiring looks like a real hack job. Not what I would expect from a factory install. Then again, maybe so...

I assume the RS probably was not working because someone has disconnected the antenna and some of the wires from it and the used car dealer did not have the RS fobs for me. The Jeep dealer is not sure they can get and program new fobs. Even if they did, it would be a waste of money if the module is defective because the PC-12 is no longer available.

So I would like to just remove it and all the related wiring back to OEM. I found the KJ RS installation manual on a Mopar website. I assume removing it is the opposite of installing it. The fake key transponder, coil tach wire, ignition switch Y-harness, ground wires, tidy up wire splices with heat shrink, etc. etc.

But I have one concern. The factory alarm does not work either. Locking the doors or using the keyless entry key, there is no response from the alarm and the light on the dash never blinks. Doing research on it I have found numerous articles about how to make the factory alarm turn off when activating remote start. I ran across a single article that said the factory alarm (does not work) after the installation of a remote start (but I cannot seem to find that article again). My concern is not only the removal of the remote start kit, but I would also like the factory alarm to function properly again.

Currently the only thing I have done is unplug the PC-12 module from its connectors. I did that when I first got the Liberty because the relay inside the module kept clicking continuously when you turn on the ignition. The Liberty starts and runs fine with the PC-12 unplugged. The connectors are just hanging from under the dash currently. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem with the alarm might be? And do you think it has something to do with the RS install (or) some of the problems people have posted about the RS and factory alarm?

Techdad

Reaction score
Silly me,
My post should say "Remote" start, not "Remove" start. I don't think I want to remove start... there is enough of that going around already