Airbox/Air Filter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced the air filter on my vehicle. I have few questions about the airbox/filter.

Inside the airbox is a smaller rectangular cavity.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

The cavity houses a small orange (once orange) rectangle foam. It is pretty fried. Not sure what it is. I assume its a filter for air that is supplied to the cabin, as there is a hose that connects to the hole in the cavity which houses the foamy thing. If it is a filter I assume I should replace it and that its a standard fit that most Auto chains would carry?

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
You mean Sponge Bob? :D

That is the filter for your crank case ventilation .. you can get one from the dealer but it's not necessary. In fact the one I got from DC did not even fit (had to trim it).

Either clean it as best you can or just replace it with a piece of similar (airflow) sponge.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thinking off the top of my head, I know my aquarium filter uses some fairly porous foam. Not sure how much the dealer wants for that piece, but you could probably grab a piece of foam for an aquarium filter and trim to fit as well.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
That is what the "new" ones from DC look like ... more like a scouring pad than the original foam.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Better late than never..
A new inexpensive Mr Sponge Bob is available. Mopar part #05066076AA
You must be registered for see images attach

Poor little guy had shrank & was crumbling! :)

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a foam air filter for a lawn mower and cut to fit, it was dirt cheap. Good to know a factory replacement is available.

Members online

No members online now.