Rich air fuel mix problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dtennes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heads up. I have a problem with "rich" fuel trims, both short and long.

Background: I had elected to replace all of the emission-related sensors (MAP, ECT, IAT, etc) and fuel-air mix controllers (Intake Air Control Valve, Throttle Position sensor, Evap purge) that I could do myself.

In the precess of replacement I found a broken o-ring on the MAP sensor, which might explain the PCM pumping extra fuel and causing the "rich" mix.

I bought a new MAP sensor from AMZN and put it in, o-ring properly seated. Still suffering a "rich" mix condition. LTFT1 > 14.0 LTFT2 > 20.0.

Went back and reviewed parts ordered from AMZN, and thanks to their incorrect "fitment" feature, I found out that I bought the wrong MAP.

I am now waiting for the arrival of the correct part and will update this after installation and testing.

AMZN fitment disinformation: 56041018AB
Correct MOPAR part: 68002763AA

Look here (or similar elsewhere) for the correct MAP fitment: https://www.quadratec.com/products/55122_2005.htm

My own fault for trusting AMZN and their sponsored Chinese Supply Chain

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Background: I had elected to replace all of the emission-related sensors (MAP, ECT, IAT, etc) and fuel-air mix controllers (Intake Air Control Valve, Throttle Position sensor, Evap purge) that I could do myself.

In the precess of replacement I found a broken o-ring on the MAP sensor, which might explain the PCM pumping extra fuel and causing the "rich" mix.

I bought a new MAP sensor from AMZN and put it in, o-ring properly seated. Still suffering a "rich" mix condition. LTFT1 > 14.0 LTFT2 > 20.0.

Went back and reviewed parts ordered from AMZN, and thanks to their incorrect "fitment" feature, I found out that I bought the wrong MAP.

I am now waiting for the arrival of the correct part and will update this after installation and testing.

Look here (or similar elsewhere) for the correct MAP fitment: https://www.quadratec.com/products/55122_2005.htm

I to bought a MAP sensor from Amazon, I always check package to see if part is old or new? I have problems with Amazon, I buy a lot of part from rockauto!

dtennes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed the "correct" MAP #68002763AA, and it seems to have partially improved the fuel trim. I had unstable o2 sensor readings prior to MAP replacement were sticking between .07 and .65 V, with 1 sensor occasionally hitting .8... and my understanding is that its supposed to fluxuate between .1 and .9

Now 3 out of 4 o2 sensors are fluxuating between .1 and .85.

I think I may have a bad downstream o2 sensor and will be replacing that soon.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A thought! The cruise control is vacuum and line is connected under the coolant resivor with vacuum line controlling the a/c and heat positions, the line connects to the back of the intake manifold (maybe crack in line some where (check)

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The downstreams usually don't have any effect on the air/fuel mix.

What do the short and long terms look like now at idle?

dtennes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A thought! The cruise control is vacuum and line is connected under the coolant resivor with vacuum line controlling the a/c and heat positions, the line connects to the back of the intake manifold (maybe crack in line some where (check)
A very interesting thought, because I have what looks like a "rogue vacuum line" that has an end with some sort of weird white-plastic-breather plug stuck in it. The garage said it was "a transmission breather line" but I've been to the salvage yard a few times looking at 2003 3.7L intact drive trains, and I cannot find any similarity between this "dangler" and what's sitting intact in the yards.

I will take a pic and attach this morning.