What is this hose - 34611-B - going into the airbox?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

david.lukac

Reaction score
Hi guys,

what's the purpose of the hose going into the airbox - see image? It has 34611-B written on it. Is it a breather vent? From? It's not on Haynes Repair Manual's engine bay image :oops:.

UPDATE: Found this: Cylinder Head To Air Cleaner Hose - Mopar (53013723AC) ... seems like might be that?

'05 KJ 3.7

Thanks for the help!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its part of the crank case ventilation. That particular hose lets clean air into the crank case. There should be a sponge bob inside of the air filter box.

david.lukac

Reaction score
Its part of the crank case ventilation. That particular hose lets clean air into the crank case. There should be a sponge bob inside of the air filter box.
Thanks @JeepJeepster ! I found the sponge bob as well, falling apart, in desperate need for replacement . Googling around, it’s discontinued, any tips for replacement? Also I managed to break off the vent tube from t-junction to airbox when replacing PCV valve, so crankcase vent is no more connected to airbox, it’s just open to engine bay from the t-junction. ( yes, I’m new to this stuff ). I’m trying to put together some hoses to temporarily put it back, Libby seems to run OK without the connection, how urgent is this to fix though?
Also also are there any tools or tips when pulling off hoses like the one on PCV valve? I had issues pulling it off, there’s not that much wiggle room and when I helped it with screwdriver, the hose started to tear .
Thanks!!!

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My original sponge bob I noticed was dirty, and turned into dust upon trying to remove. There's probably something a lot better, but I used an extra tire shine foam applicator cut down to size.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hose tearing is a good indicator that it has dried out and should be replaced anyway. You should be able to buy it by the foot at your local auto parts store and maybe a generic t fitting that'll work. Yes it will not be as pretty as the formed hoses, but will get the job done. Some people use a pic to break surface tension of the hose for removal, (same idea as screwdriver). My tool of choice is hose pliers, you can ger a pretty affordable set at harbor frieght. They look like long needle nose, but the end is formed to grab around a hose. Couple twists with those breaks the surface tension and you don't have to poke at hoses with anything sharp. Also Pick up a foam air filter for a lawnmower or similar small engine, cut to size and you've got a fresh sponge bob.

Hermics

Reaction score
The hose tearing is a good indicator that it has dried out and should be replaced anyway. You should be able to buy it by the foot at your local auto parts store and maybe a generic t fitting that'll work. Yes it will not be as pretty as the formed hoses, but will get the job done. Some people use a pic to break surface tension of the hose for removal, (same idea as screwdriver). My tool of choice is hose pliers, you can ger a pretty affordable set at harbor frieght. They look like long needle nose, but the end is formed to grab around a hose. Couple twists with those breaks the surface tension and you don't have to poke at hoses with anything sharp. Also Pick up a foam air filter for a lawnmower or similar small engine, cut to size and you've got a fresh sponge bob.

Hermics

Reaction score
Mine broke when I replaced my struts. I went to my parts store picked up a few feet of heater hose then went to Home Depot and picked up a T-fitting from the plumbing section. Clamped it all together. Works great and now I can remove it when I’m under the hood without worry. The factory stuff gets brittle fast! Good luck!

david.lukac

Reaction score
Mine broke when I replaced my struts. I went to my parts store picked up a few feet of heater hose then went to Home Depot and picked up a T-fitting from the plumbing section. Clamped it all together. Works great and now I can remove it when I’m under the hood without worry. The factory stuff gets brittle fast! Good luck!
Thanks @Hermics ! I was thinking the same. The original T-shaped tubing looks so brittle and easy to break, I'd worry every time I go in there. The PCV valve tubing seems to be from the same material.