Adding a vent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of you may recall the old days when cars had vents -- wind wings, floor vents and vent positions in the heater controls. One by one they have disappeared. Now, if you want any (windows-up) airflow, you turn on the fan. This is OK, but it causes premature fan bearing failure, resister block failure and power drainage.

I always wondered if there was a reasonable way to convert the heater-A/C control to work without the fan on. Since I upgraded to the '05 heater control, I could afford to experiment on the old '04 unit. Finally spent the time to work it out. Once I safely modified the '04 unit, I also converted the '05 control (which I am now using). The procedure is posted in the How To section: http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1265

So far I like the results. I can regulate cabin heat. with the temp. switch without having to monkey with the blower or windows frequently; and, it's quiet. You wouldn't use this all the time, but it does extend your options. I'll put the modified '04 heater up for sale in case anyone wants to try it out without risking their original control unit. \:D/