Add fog lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty and I have absolutely everything on this jeep minus the moon roof and fog lights. Today I got the fog lights, harness, and multifunction switch at a junk yard. I know there's wiring involved and I'm not afraid. I'm missing the light blue wire on the vehicle side but I have it on the harness on the light side. Any pointers and tips are greatly appreciated. I installed the multifunction switch and the light on the dash comes on. I stopped there until I got some information. Thanks!

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at that, this is not the kit you get from Mopar so I don't think it applies. Also, that pdf doesn't explain much

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I looked at that, this is not the kit you get from Mopar so I don't think it applies. Also, that pdf doesn't explain much

Which wire are you trying to find?
I have a dealership shop manual out in the garage that I maybe able to find what you need
or where is that blue wire suppose to be and what does it do or do you know for sure?

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fog lights have a black wire which is for ground and a blue wire that acts as a signal wire from the multifunction switch on the steering column. I have the wires for the fog lights but the wire I'm missing is at the connector behind the front grille on the drivers side. It's the middle pin and it's a light blue wire. The spot on the connector on the body has a blank in it. All I need to know is where the wire goes but I'm having trouble finding that.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I have the fuse in the dash which is # 20 for fog lights. Do I need something else like a relay in the engine bay? I'm guessing all I have to do is run a wire from the multifunction switch to the fog lights and ground them

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 02 directions showed running a wire through the firewall and up to the MFS connector harness.

I'd start by verifying that wire's presence at the MFS. if it is, then there's a good chance you have all the wiring, at least to the internal fuse panel. you're correct in guessing there's a relay possibly needed in that same panel. i know when I did the full add-on kit to my 07, it came with the relay. the wiring was ran from the factory all the way up to the multi-way connector located behind the driver's headlamp. it wasn't on the body side though, so I had to splice in. Dig up the FSM for the 02+ years and look for the decription of that connector up front. you'll be able to determine what wire color code to look for, and verify its presence there.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the wire on the stock headlight harness but not on the body. It's the middle blue one I'm speaking of. Where the harness connects to on the body is where I'm missing the wire. Also, I'll check tonight when I get off work and see if the wire is present at the mfs. I'll look at the manual as well. As far as adding a relay goes, is that necessary? I may be wrong but wouldn't the fogs work if I just run a wire from the mfs for the fog light switch? Someone explain please, I'm not to great on relays and what not.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the wire on the stock headlight harness but not on the body. It's the middle blue one I'm speaking of. Where the harness connects to on the body is where I'm missing the wire. Also, I'll check tonight when I get off work and see if the wire is present at the mfs. I'll look at the manual as well. As far as adding a relay goes, is that necessary? I may be wrong but wouldn't the fogs work if I just run a wire from the mfs for the fog light switch? Someone explain please, I'm not to great on relays and what not.

the relay is pretty much required, as the wiring to the MFS isn't very robust. it's really only a signal wire to tell the relay to switch and provide power to the lights.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay can you give me a link to what I need?

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And pretty much all I need to do is run a wire from the mfs to a relay and a wire from the relay to the lights and ground the lights

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I understand that, but there is not a description of the relay.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
study the FSM.
study the addon kit instructions.
look in the factory manual that came with the jeep.

those sources will tell you everything you'll need to know to do the job.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That will work? Do I need a specific relay? If I'm correct, the blue wire goes to the relay and you just ground it? Do I need a specific one! Oh and I'll make sure to study that once I get off work

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That will work? Do I need a specific relay? If I'm correct, the blue wire goes to the relay and you just ground it? Do I need a specific one! Oh and I'll make sure to study that once I get off work

Should work. Like I said before, it's been a while since I used one. I think a 30amp is the smallest relay they make. You'd run a fuse of course. Probably a 20amp on the feed to the relay from the battery. Not sure about the wire color you mentioned. Don't have a wiring diagram handy. Post 2 of this thread has a nice diagram that looks correct to me.

Found a neat fog light wiring diagram... But whats this? - JeepForum.com

Again, not sure about the particular wire you are talking about. Might get a chance to check it out later today. May be your blue wire comes from the switch to 85 and then you'd ground 86? Might be safer to start from scratch as far as the wires are concerned, unless you can definitively identify that wire.

Last edited:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Signal wire from mfs through firewall to relay, to fog light blue wire. I'm certain is the blue wire for the fog lights. Not sure shot the wire on the mfs