Actual Lift Amount - Lets Compare Fender Heights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surprisepoptart

Reaction score
Sitting right around 20” front and back with CRD loaded struts from rockauto, and 1.5” spacers in the back.
Think I’m gonna do a little clevis lift on the driver side since that’s sitting just little low, and eventually I might throw some new coils in the back.

All in, including new rear shocks, I’m right around $250 or a little less

I’m calling that a success considering I had to put a ton of money into rebuilding everything else at the same time…

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
drivers side ( left front ) is always a bit low
every lift I have installed I added a bit more to that side to even everything out ( 1/8 inch or so
The coils from a CRD are about what should of been installed from the factory but they tried to provide a marshmallow ride thinking that is what folks wanted
loaded struts ..... coilover shocks is what we have

Throw new coils and shocks ( good ones like Bilstein ) in the rear
having new on one end and weak sagged suspension on the other is like running a marathon with one new shoe and one worn out

Surprisepoptart

Reaction score
drivers side ( left front ) is always a bit low
every lift I have installed I added a bit more to that side to even everything out ( 1/8 inch or so
The coils from a CRD are about what should of been installed from the factory but they tried to provide a marshmallow ride thinking that is what folks wanted
loaded struts ..... coilover shocks is what we have

Throw new coils and shocks ( good ones like Bilstein ) in the rear
having new on one end and weak sagged suspension on the other is like running a marathon with one new shoe and one worn out
I just put the cheapest shocks I could find in the back($18 each, iirc), as the whole spacer setup was meant to be temporary. But worn out shoe or otherwise, it actually feels/drive just fine.

I’ll probably end up leaving it alone until if/when the springs sag out even more or the shocks blow out, and then replace it all

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh dear , never cheap out on shocks or brakes espicially
I tossed the whole suspension ( springs and shocks ) on my 2004 when I bought it , rode terrible
100 times better with good quality springs and shocks
Goog luck

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh dear , never cheap out on shocks or brakes espicially
I tossed the whole suspension ( springs and shocks ) on my 2004 when I bought it , rode terrible
100 times better with good quality springs and shocks
Goog luck

Surprisepoptart

Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, my CJ7 has Old Man Emu CSO36R (heavy) YJ springs, and Fox 2.0 shocks front and back...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, my CJ7 has Old Man Emu CSO36R (heavy) YJ springs, and Fox 2.0 shocks front and back...
YJ springs? Why would you install leaf springs on a KJ
YJs were the worst riding Jeep I even owned
Bought one on a friday , traded it off within 2 weeks

Surprisepoptart

Reaction score
Oh YJ on a CJ, again why ?
They're just better springs... 1/2" wider, and... maybe 2" longer.
And, OME only makes them for YJs. No point in making a smaller, worse spring. Just to avoid having to get two new front spring hangers

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Lets all measure our true lifted (or un-lifted) heights. I have a couple of pics below showing how you need to measure so that we are comparing apples to apples. List your year, type of lift, miles on current suspension setup, and front and rear fender heights. List right and left also if they happen to differ more than 1/4". I'd like to see the measurements for as many stock un-lifted KJs too with the least amount of miles so we can help people in the future to tell if/how much their stock springs are sagging. I would also like to see the height from those of you that are SFA'ed. (So the rest of us can be jealous).

2007 Sport
Daystar 2.5" Lift plus 3/8" Clevis
35k miles on Jeep, 15k miles on the lift
Stock Springs
Stock Bumper
Front Fender Height: 22.25
Rear Fender Height: 21.25

My fenders measured this the day after I installed the lift and have not dropped any... YET. 8)

Also, no need to list tire and wheel size. It is irrelevant for this measurement. This just measures the suspension height and it will be the same whether you have stock wheels and tires, or if you stuff 35's under there.

Measure the distance from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the fender flare.
You must be registered for see images attach

Take the measurement at the bottom of the rounded outer edge of the fender flare. The green line in the pic shows where to take the measurement. The fenders bevel down as they go in closer to the inner fender well. So, if we all just measure to the spot I marked in green in the pic, we will have an even comparison. In this picture, it measures 22.25"
You must be registered for see images attach
04 sport 3.7
26 inch front 24.5 rear
Custom built oem parts with little modifications

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Let's see how you managed that. Pictures and descriptions please. I'm both interested and concerned.
Basically it was a body lift with relocation of the upper A arm to the bottom of the frame and transmission lowering blocks. Everything was drop 5 inches down and longer radiator hose. It would have been preferred to go 7 3/4 inches to keep the same geometry on the upper control arm but the shift cable wasnt long enough.
Let's see how you managed that. Pictures and descriptions please. I'm both interested and concerned.
I relocated the upper control arm first off to the bottom side of the frame between the body and subframe which ended up being 5 in of drop on the subframe which lowered engine as well I dropped the transmission down the same five inches looking back on it I wish I had went seven and three quarters that way it wouldn't change the suspension geometry up which made it a nightmare. And for the rear suspension I use the front coil springs out from under a 99 1-ton Dodge 4 wheel drive because years ago I replace the front coil springs with airbags. And i have started a four link to get the rear axle back to the correct wheelbase. Its drivable but not finished. Once its completely finish ill post the pictures and every thing it has taken to achieve it. This was done because i was told it was impossible. And its only temporary for me because i plan to go with a straight axle after i win the bet. If you are wanting to do the same then start looking in to buying a lathe and end mill because your going to need them or know a machinist .

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Basically it was a body lift with relocation of the upper A arm to the bottom of the frame and transmission lowering blocks. Everything was drop 5 inches down and longer radiator hose. It would have been preferred to go 7 3/4 inches to keep the same geometry on the upper control arm but the shift cable wasnt long enough.

I relocated the upper control arm first off to the bottom side of the frame between the body and subframe which ended up being 5 in of drop on the subframe which lowered engine as well I dropped the transmission down the same five inches looking back on it I wish I had went seven and three quarters that way it wouldn't change the suspension geometry up which made it a nightmare. And for the rear suspension I use the front coil springs out from under a 99 1-ton Dodge 4 wheel drive because years ago I replace the front coil springs with airbags. And i have started a four link to get the rear axle back to the correct wheelbase. Its drivable but not finished. Once its completely finish ill post the pictures and every thing it has taken to achieve it. This was done because i was told it was impossible. And its only temporary for me because i plan to go with a straight axle after i win the bet. If you are wanting to do the same then start looking in to buying a lathe and end mill because your going to need them or know a machinist .
Oh yeah I forgot I also had to change the geometry on the steering arm and lengthen it which I turn down and milled milled myself

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Oh yeah I forgot I also had to change the geometry on the steering arm and lengthen it which I turn down and milled milled myself
And the brake lines were rebent and remounted to the underside of the frame also

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a disaster on wheels...really looking forward to the pictures.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
In all honesty i would like to go with some 23 in coilovers but thats not the bet. And in all honesty i most likely will have to raise it another 2 3/4 inches to correct the geometry. So i can return it back to oem speck. But once i get it all finished ill post the pictures because i dont want to steer any one in the wrong direction. Because this is uncharted territory.
Sounds like a disaster on wheels...really looking forward to the pictures.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
You requested some photos here are a few. Keep in mind I am not done with the lift it’s just where I am with it at the moment. And as far as the alignment stock recommendations work. And I’m planning to do away with all the spacers I’m now in search of the coil overs to do so.

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpeg
    IMG_0093.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0092.jpeg
    IMG_0092.jpeg
    321.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0088.jpeg
    IMG_0088.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0090.jpeg
    IMG_0090.jpeg
    351.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0090.jpeg
    IMG_0090.jpeg
    351.2 KB · Views: 20

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy shipwreck batman! I think I remember you saying that you're just doing this to win a bet or something, and don't plan on running it? Sure hope that's the case. At least you're having fun.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Holy shipwreck batman! I think I remember you saying that you're just doing this to win a bet or something, and don't plan on running it? Sure hope that's the case. At least you're having fun.
Im actually planing on going with a straight axle. But lets hear your reasons behind not running it.

Latest posts

Members online