4x2 KJ 's off road (we can too)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IvaKJ2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Model T weighs in at a whopping 1200lbs. It runs twice the tire clearance at quarter of the width, with just under a third of the weight. The footage shows the model T only going down hill... hardly a challenge. That and the frame and suspension of the Model T has infinately more flex and travel than a 2wd Liberty. Next why don't you show some off-road VolksWagons so we can shoot the holes in that theory too. Listen, if you need someone else to make you feel better about buying a 2wd Liberty, you probably already regret it anyway.

Never mind me... I think I spent too much time on Pirate4x4.

relax, you don't need to get agressive, geez chill.

IvaKJ2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is exactly why my dad keeps trying to sell me mountain bike tires for my jeep!

2wd with a locker of some sort and good tires will go a lot of places. I'm still open front and rear *laughing like a teenager at myself for that* and with the stock tires I get stuck pretty quick in 2wd, with the mtrs I go through very sloppy stuff and make it through with some wheelspin, In 4wd I get almost no wheelspin.

I will be able to give an opinion on snow soon but I know rwd is a ton of fun in snow:badger_1:

put is on those huge rims and narrow rubber that is soo ghetto popular these days and a liberty would look like an old west stage coach! I;d like to see that..

IvaKJ2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
relax, you don't need to get agressive, geez chill.
besides, the 4x2 is what I could afford, SOME of us (me) aren't made of money to through at a dream machine...if I could I'd get the diesel version, despite what CARB (California Air Resourses Board) thinks....

The libby replaces a plymouth voyager that had 236,407 miles before giving up the ghost for the last time...

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still say keep the 2wd in the mall parking lot
all you are doing off road is clogging up the access roads
to the trails
yeah I said it
you are getting stuck on the roads I use to access the trails
and yes from my point of view this is very true as it has happened

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Also from what I have seen over the years a two wheel drive OR someone who has no experience with a 4 wheel drive will tear up a road/trail way worse than a experienced 4 wheeler.
They get stuck and bore around forever trying to get out and then you have a mess which does not look good to the public . Gives everyone a black eye then.
When people come to see me at my farm, its a little ways back in, if I know they have two wheel drive I tell them to park at the end of the road and I'll come and get them. I don't want my road torn up!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
besides, the 4x2 is what I could afford, SOME of us (me) aren't made of money to through at a dream machine...if I could I'd get the diesel version, despite what CARB (California Air Resourses Board) thinks....

The libby replaces a plymouth voyager that had 236,407 miles before giving up the ghost for the last time...

Most all of us are not made of money but we buy what works for us and know that we may have to scrimp on something else. So that is not even a half a**ed excuse.
I have been building / replacing/ upgrading on mine for 6 years now. Yes I bought it new and It replaced a built XJ that I bought new in 96 and put 265,000 on. You should buy what you need, not what the dealership tells you that you can afford.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most all of us are not made of money but we buy what works for us and know that we may have to scrimp on something else. So that is not even a half a**ed excuse.
I have been building / replacing/ upgrading on mine for 6 years now. Yes I bought it new and It replaced a built XJ that I bought new in 96 and put 265,000 on. You should buy what you need, not what the dealership tells you that you can afford.

nah
BS on both accounts
I say buy what you WANT
money does you no good when you are dead
live happy
If I were to only have 1 ride it would be a WK Grand
Hemi lifted and locked ,rear at least as there are none for the front
as of now I/we have 3 with 3 different jobs
1 to haul ,heavy loads
1 to haul butt
1 to wheel
and in a year or 2 we will have a 4th to haul the 1 that we wheel

KingMick217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still say keep the 2wd in the mall parking lot
all you are doing off road is clogging up the access roads
to the trails
yeah I said it
you are getting stuck on the roads I use to access the trails
and yes from my point of view this is very true as it has happened

That reminded me of a time we came upon two hippies stoned out of there mind, stuck sitting diagonally in the middle of the trail... in a AWD Ford Tempo! Well we managed to get the car out of the way... Imagine if you will a PowerStroke and a lifted F150 playing "finger cuffs" with a couple of tow ropes and the tempo in the middle. LOL... I shouldn't get as much of a laugh out of that as I still do. I'm sure that they reconsidered their choice in off-road vehicles after that.

Last edited:

KingMick217

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I wheeled in a Suzuki Samurai for years... And it was my DD at the time. Try having to decide between gasoline and Ramen soup. I understand the concept of not being made of money, being broke *****. I did learn how to keep my junk on the road and a hell of a lot about off-roading in that time frame. It helps that I didn't saddle myself with a car payment and full coverage until I could actually afford it though. Just don't be that guy. I hate that guy. The world already has too many of them :favorites68: guys.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were to only have 1 ride it would be a WK Grand
Hemi lifted and locked ,rear at least as there are none for the front
as of now...
Here you go...

I'm active on JF and JU... and a few others

Some updated pictures of actually offroading it:

You must be registered for see images attach

IvaKJ2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No, I got:
1) what my budget could afford, not the dealer.
2) what fit me best--the headroom, legroom isn't bed AND I don't have to squat down to get in it. (I'm 6'6'").
3) I just like trucks/vans/etc...my other choices includes a LaSabre, malibu and powderpuff blueish/white new beetle.

IvaKJ2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think some of you have gotten the wrong idea, I have no intention of trying to go extreme with this thing (such as rock crawling like some lizzard) or wallowing in a mud bog (like swamp thing)..as fun as it looks.

But I do want to make this thing able to get me into my favorite camping/hunting/fishing spots without having to be dependant on the forbearance of others. So dont patronize, or condesend to me, you can keep your ******** stuff to own private little clique...I just want to get in my spots and out again<period>, nothing more complicated than that.

And if I can improve the libbys' towing prowess at the same time all the better.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but from my point of view, I see no reason to spend 3,000 more for a Jeep just because it has 4X4. For me, It's a waste of money. I'd maybe use it once a year. I think some of you guys don't realize that some of us KJ owners don't off-road all the time.

If you do serious off-roading and do it all the time, then you should get a 4X4 Libby. I won't deny that. But if you only off-road occasionally, you really don't need a 4X4. My 2wd KJ has made it through lots of crap. It has gone through a mud pond and 6 inches of snow.

Yes a 4X4 KJ will go more places than a 4X2 KJ. But don't assume that 2wd KJ's are worthless because it's not true.

IvaKJ2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm sorry but from my point of view, i see no reason to spend 3,000 more for a jeep just because it has 4x4. For me, it's a waste of money. I'd maybe use it once a year. I think some of you guys don't realize that some of us kj owners don't off-road all the time.

If you do serious off-roading and do it all the time, then you should get a 4x4 libby. I won't deny that. But if you only off-road occasionally, you really don't need a 4x4. My 2wd kj has made it through lots of crap. It has gone through a mud pond and 6 inches of snow.

Yes a 4x4 kj will go more places than a 4x2 kj. But don't assume that 2wd kj's are worthless because it's not true.

thank you.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but from my point of view, I see no reason to spend 3,000 more for a Jeep just because it has 4X4. For me, It's a waste of money. I'd maybe use it once a year. I think some of you guys don't realize that some of us KJ owners don't off-road all the time.

If you do serious off-roading and do it all the time, then you should get a 4X4 Libby. I won't deny that. But if you only off-road occasionally, you really don't need a 4X4. My 2wd KJ has made it through lots of crap. It has gone through a mud pond and 6 inches of snow.

Yes a 4X4 KJ will go more places than a 4X2 KJ. But don't assume that 2wd KJ's are worthless because it's not true.
For your area in maybe okay but not in my neck of the woods,it's totally worthless even if 100% daily driven and never taken off pavement.

If your going to get a 2wd it better drive the front 2 wheels unless your racing then you want rwd.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same for my area. 4x2 would be worthless for much of New England, IMHO. Unless you live on the coast or on the Cape where they typically don't get as much snow.

KingMick217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A RWD station wagon would be fine driven on dry pavement in my neck of the woods for atleast half of the year. With alot of care and concern, you can drive them in the winter here aswell. There are plenty of guys with 4wd and tow straps more than willing to lend a hand. :pp:

KingMick217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never actually taken cash for pulling someone out. I actually think it is against the law to pull someone out of the ditch on the highway or interstate in Montana if you are not a tow truck driver. Of course no self-respecting State Trooper would ever enforce it. Regardless, if it's a woman stuck in the ditch I always help get her out. The dipsticks with the Escalade with 22" rims that don't know how to even engage their 4wd... they can spend the night there for all I care.

Latest posts