4x2 KJ 's off road (we can too)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IvaKJ2, forget about the bashing on here. Many have forgotten what a 2 wheel drive can do. I first started off roading in a 1979 1 ton chev pickup...with 2 wheel drive. I had a blast and more willing to go places where the 4 wheel drives wouldn't.
A couple of tips that might help you out, find out what wheeling you want to do (sand running, mud, trail?). Ask the questions, what works with a 4 wheel drive probably will help out a 2 wheel drive (locker, bigger tires, winch), find out what works in your area. Know your limits, don't try to sink up to the windsheild in mud when your all alone.
Just look through some of the pics around here...do you REALLY need 4 wheel drive to go on a gravel logging road?lol.
I know just how far I'd make it on trails here in CO with only 2wd,and that would be not very far,heck without low range you wouldn't make it very far on a mild trail.I know from experiance when my left/outer CV joint self destructed 200m from the trail head on Chinaman's Gultch trail,not even on the actual trail.Had to put it in 2wd to continue and had to be strapped more times then I could count on the smallest things and had to go way to fast for the terrian to keep moving which lead to a bead blowing on my right front tire(at 12psi) going down hill:wtf2:

You just don't know how much that front diff actually does until you can not use it anymore.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that was a bit over-the-line wasn't it... I'd like to apologize to all my felllow KJ enthusiasts in California. The purpose of these Forums is to share experiences, tips, and advice, not to piss in people's Wheaties. Sometimes I forget that and what I'm really thinking just comes out. No excuses, I'll try to run a little tighter filter on what I write.

I'm just upset that you let out our unicorn secret! Ironically, they're not as graceful as one would think.

When it comes to wheeling I am still a noob but there are plenty of places on the trails where a 2wd is just dandy but when you add low traction a lot becomes very difficult in a relatively stock 2wd.

If you wanna go to Hollister hills sometime and see just how far 2wd will go, I am usually free on weekends. Just have recovery points so I can pull ya out if you get stuck and to pull me out if I do :)

avalanchejf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im fine with the 4x2..i just went today off road and it was perfect. It was like my second time going off road and i didnt get stuck or anything. I would like a 4x4 but right now i cant get one. So for now its good!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im fine with the 4x2..i just went today off road and it was perfect. It was like my second time going off road and i didnt get stuck or anything. I would like a 4x4 but right now i cant get one. So for now its good!

depends on your definition of "off road"
trust me
what I call off road and what you did today are not the same
otherwise you would not have been able to post
at least not this early

Members online