4x2 KJ 's off road (we can too)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingMick217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When wheeling alone (just one vehicle) I drive along in 2wd untill I get some slippage. At that time I'll put it into 4-high just to get past the slick spots. If and when I get stuck, I put it in 4-low and get the hell out of there. On most trail rides and mountain roads I never even get it into 4-wd.
Thus I would say that you "could" build a reasonably capable 2wd off-roader... But why? For the cost of upgrading the essential parts, you'd probably be better off capably and fiscally just trading it in on a 4wd unit.
Now that someone has said the obvious... let us chase this rabbit hole and see where it leads actually addressing the 2wd offroading delima.

Suggested mods for 4x2 offroaders.
1. some decent tires
2. Hi-lift
3. a CB and/or Sat phone
4. a locker or fairly tight limited slip
5. some body armor
6. winch/come-a-long
7. lift kit
8. additional lighting

It kind of depends what kind off off-roading you do. I'd suggest a different order of things if you were doing sand drags vs trail rides.

IvaKJ2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found threads for toyota prerunners, FJ 4x2's, even xterra 4x2 (included links to back up my case) that they can be made into (atleast) fairly off-roadables.

And yet, as I lurk around here, it's always 4wd this, 4wd that, 2wd isn't nothing but soccermom's grocery store ride...you can't do !@#$ with one...and not just here, other jeep forums do too, the patriot forum is about the only one that accepts 2x's as 'real jeeps'..

Why can't a libby 2x be a prerunner type like a toyota? we're torguey, have the hp, a few mods (like a lift kit, diff upgrade, good tires) should make it possible.

I challenge ALL 4x2 libby owners out there to speak up! lets here your stories/adventures/mods. after all, why should 'those guys' have all the fun?!...

Last edited:

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I think this forum is pretty respectable regarding 2wd KJ's, I haven't really seen any bashing outside of the "my 2wd can do anything your 4wd can do" threads.

A 2wd is fine and very capable, but in reality is limited when it comes to off roading.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
When off roading a 2 wheel drive will get you back in so far
a 4 wheel drive will go in and back out :happy175:
But seriously a lot of it depends on where you live and where you go. You can run a lot of places in two wheel drive, but take like where my home place is a two wheel drive will not get you close to the house if there is any snow on. You have to have 4 wheel drive period.
I have had to walk in way too many times when I had my 4 wheel drive down and only had the two wheel pickup up and running
So for every thing you can find that a 2 wheel can go here or there, there will be 4 times that number where you need 4 wheel drive simple as that

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 2wd would be hard pressed to make it on any trail out here but the scenic ones that are just paved roads.Most trails here a 2wd would never even make it to the trail head before they either broke or the trans severly overheated due to extreme hill climbs(on gravel roads) without the aid of low range.

Sorry 2wd is for pavement.

tibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To all respect to everyone, no bashing meant...a 4x4 is only what you make it! Too many people have a 4x4 just to have one, never knowing where the 4 wheel drive lever/switch is. People put a lift kit on, big tires, lights, etc and are afraid to go a mile near mud or climb a hill.
That being said, a 4x2 can go where most 4x4 owners are willing to put there machines. Those who use the 4 wheel drive option do have a advantage over the 4x2, but throw a winch on, some tires and know how to drive and have fun.

IvaKJ2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have made it through mud in a 2wd KJ, so it can be done. Good tires help.

first week I had it, I pulled into a perfectly flat, grassy field next to the railroad tracks here, just 'to see' (and impress the gril I was taking home from dinner)...aaaand promptly sank to my axels...:disgust:I guess I didn't think about the heavy rain we've been having up to the day before...and now after some 'net research, tatally wrong tires too. ended up not getting home until 430 am, her response...'boy jer, you sure know how to show a girls a good time'...

I know from that, KJ's have the hp and the torgue (I dug a grave)...I should of gotten pics...damn

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my 2wd KJ for a little over five years now and never have taken it off road (I always had Suzukis for that) but I do know that yesterday in the ICE here the combination of 2WD, 5-Speed and warn out stock tires made driving my KJ harder than it was driving my 96 Mustang GT in the same situation. Yesterday Morning trying to drive up the Iced-over on-ramps was a real pain in the ****. Even starting in second the Liberty wanted to slide sideways everytime I let off of the clutch. By Comparison my 4x4 Liberty (which is an Auto and has decent tread on the stock-sized tires) did fine while in 2HI.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I try to drive up my driveway when it snows in 2 wheel it slides all over the place, but when I drive up it in 4 wheel it does right up with no fuss.

Just sayin'.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, nay sayers on 4x2 abilities, check this 'classic footage' out...
Model T fords...from back in the day
...4x2's
...about 15-25 HP
...rolling on what amounts to mountain bike tires (2-4" wide)
:icon_twisted: hehehehehehe....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3014197553133338522#docid=-2247619232557934338

That is exactly why my dad keeps trying to sell me mountain bike tires for my jeep!

2wd with a locker of some sort and good tires will go a lot of places. I'm still open front and rear *laughing like a teenager at myself for that* and with the stock tires I get stuck pretty quick in 2wd, with the mtrs I go through very sloppy stuff and make it through with some wheelspin, In 4wd I get almost no wheelspin.

I will be able to give an opinion on snow soon but I know rwd is a ton of fun in snow:badger_1:

KingMick217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Model T weighs in at a whopping 1200lbs. It runs twice the tire clearance at quarter of the width, with just under a third of the weight. The footage shows the model T only going down hill... hardly a challenge. That and the frame and suspension of the Model T has infinately more flex and travel than a 2wd Liberty. Next why don't you show some off-road VolksWagons so we can shoot the holes in that theory too. Listen, if you need someone else to make you feel better about buying a 2wd Liberty, you probably already regret it anyway.

Never mind me... I think I spent too much time on Pirate4x4.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) 2wd = meant for paved roads. You can take it off-road but you will get stuck.

2) 4x4 = meant for all surfaces. You can take it off-road and you could still get stuck but you will be way further off-road when this happens thereby enhancing the "stuck experience"................haha

3) Comparing any 2wd vehicle to any 4wd one is like comparing apples to lugnuts.

Dave

Last edited: