4wd Clicking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Savage

Reaction score
Put jeep in 4wd this morn. while I was out turkey hunting. Havent had jeep in 4wd much since daystar lift. Have a Clicking/metal grind sound, seems to be comming from the drivers front side. does it in 4hi and 4low, and if the wheels are turned or straight, but only if you get on the gas. to me it sounds like the 4wd just isnt engaged all the way but the wheels def. have power to them. Easy fix ?? any and all comments word be appriciated.

2002 Kj
2.5 daystar
245/75/16 Treadwright M/T crawlers

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Check the rear boot of your front driveshaft for tears. The noise you describe is the noise I had when the front driveshaft was failing - I would only hear the noise in 4hi or 4lo also. Sounds like it's coming from the drivers side too... just a thought.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the rear boot of your front driveshaft for tears. The noise you describe is the noise I had when the front driveshaft was failing - I would only hear the noise in 4hi or 4lo also. Sounds like it's coming from the drivers side too... just a thought.

X2 I had a similar sound, then even started doing it in 2 wheel drive quietly, just got the replacement joint for $80 and installed myself, pretty easy just can take a little effort to get the old off!

Jeepologist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 I had a similar sound, then even started doing it in 2 wheel drive quietly, just got the replacement joint for $80 and installed myself, pretty easy just can take a little effort to get the old off!

x3 had the same issue and fix as above

Savage

Reaction score
well the boot does not have a tear in it. But it does look like the transfer case is leaking a litttle on the drivers side. would assume I also have a bad seal.

when fixing do you replace the whole shaft or do you just change the inner joint?