Squealing sound from rear when turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 sport that makes a loud squealing rotational noise when I am driving and turning right. The sound is louder the faster I go (though I haven’t gone over 40 recently) and only when I turn right. It happens if I accelerate or brake. If I go left or straight there is no noise but the slightest turn right and you can hear it. When taking it for a test drive it appears the same volume from both sides of the vehicle and from the rear wheels/axle. My differential fluid is full and brakes are about half worn.
im not sure if my video will work but it’s a squealing high pitched noise. No clicks, grinding or banging. If that helps any.
https://www.metacafe.com/embed/12241770/jeep-noise/

Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I have an 03 sport that makes a loud squealing rotational noise when I am driving and turning right. The sound is louder the faster I go (though I haven’t gone over 40 recently) and only when I turn right. It happens if I accelerate or brake. If I go left or straight there is no noise but the slightest turn right and you can hear it. When taking it for a test drive it appears the same volume from both sides of the vehicle and from the rear wheels/axle. My differential fluid is full and brakes are about half worn.
im not sure if my video will work but it’s a squealing high pitched noise. No clicks, grinding or banging. If that helps any.
https://www.metacafe.com/embed/12241770/jeep-noise/
Any oily looking stains in your wheels ,on the backs of the tires or slung into the fender wells?

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not from what I can tell. It’s been a month or two since I’ve driven it more than around the block.