Clicking / twig snapping sound. Any idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rock_minute

Reaction score
I did a search on here, and it looks like it could be related to the CV joint? My previous posts, if you read them, will tell you this Jeep has been sitting in my buddy's driveway for the last year, not being moved or worked on. Just sat there. So I'm getting it back up and running, as he gave it to me just to get it off his driveway.

Anyways.

For the last two days, whenever I was on on a quiet road and driving, I'd hear random (not regular at all) clicking. My girlfriend described it like twigs snapping. I thought it sounded like something misfiring. It is VERY hard to replicate. It feels like it just happens randomly, but more often when I slowly hit the gas pedal off of a stop, or out of a turn.

I went home and opened the hood to check the oil first, cause I had a previous car that would do that if the oil was low. Not the oil. Plus I did an oil change two weeks ago. However, when I did open the hood the Washer Fluid cap was off. My dumb *** completeliy forgot to put it back on. I'm not saying that's what it was, of course, it sounded more "internal", like underneath the vehicle towards the rear.

I test drove it just now. Didn't hear the noise. Again, but it's super hard to replicate.

My mechanic wants me to test drive it with him, to see if I can replicate. But if I can't replicate it on my own, how am I to do it when he's in the car?

Could this be a CV joint? Is there an easy way to see if it is? My brakes stutter a little if I hit them too fast, under 30 mph usually. And my steering wheel grinds a little when I turn. I'm pretty sure I have a stuck caliper (maybe), but could this be a CV joint as well?

I'm planning on a mountain trip next weekend, and don't want to worry about my brakes failing on me.

rock_minute

Reaction score
Just checked under my Jeep. The CV joints look in place. Nothing is busted off or hanging off. I didn't pull back the boots though. Should I?

Last edited:

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Rubber guards might be what's keeping the grease in your CV joint. You won't get them sealed right if you peel them back without taking them off the vehicle. I'd leave them be.

Find a quiet empty lot with no obstructions and slowly make a constant tight left hand circle listening for a clicking noise, probably on the right side since the left turn transfers the load to the right and the CV joint is working at an angle. If there's too much wear the bearings will click. Then try it in a right circle loading up the left CV joint and listening for clicks. Do this in 2wd with the windows down. No need to be fast or furious, do broadys later.

The driveshaft from the transfercase has a CV joint that goes bad. If your front CVs check out ok I would suspect that next.

rock_minute

Reaction score
Find a quiet empty lot with no obstructions and slowly make a constant tight left hand circle listening for a clicking noise, probably on the right side since the left turn transfers the load to the right and the CV joint is working at an angle. If there's too much wear the bearings will click. Then try it in a right circle loading up the left CV joint and listening for clicks. Do this in 2wd with the windows down. No need to be fast or furious, do broadys later.

The driveshaft from the transfercase has a CV joint that goes bad. If your front CVs check out ok I would suspect that next.
Okay. I did what you said.

At first, I drove round and round and heard NO clicking noises at all. However, I did notice that if I turned the wheel until it stops, it hearing a groaning. Normal? Anyways, frustrated, I pulled out of the parking lot I was in and decided to take a drive around the neighborhood.

The moment I hit my first straight away, I heard the snapping noise. I drove around for a bit, and it varied when it happened. Usually around 20 - 30 mph on straightaways, but mostly when I came OUT of turns, especially if there were bumps on the turn like driving over a gutter. I mostly heard it right underneath my car, on the left had side.

I took it to my mechanic, and we both looked under the jeep. I don't know how I missed it before, but the left inner CV joint was blown. The mechanic said he can't be 100% positive, but that's what's likely to be causing the noise. He quoted me 600 - 700 for the fix, saying they need a rebuild it. If they don't rebuild it and I want a new one, 700 - 800.

That seems like a lot of money. I looked around these forums, and the fix seems a bit easy? I don't have a lot of auto tools, so between buying the part and the tools (especially a SAFE way to raise the vehicle), I'd still come out ahead, right?

EDIT: Oh yeah. It also happens a lot more when Over Drive is off, if that helps.

Latest posts

Members online