42RLE transmission reprogram/shift kit??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 42RLE is why I'm looking at trading in the KJ for an LJ or JK with a 6 speed.

I have to give it way too much gas getting up to highway speed or it just drops in to overdrive at 40-50mph, and then goes oh wait, we're trying to go faster, and kicks back out again, meanwhile I've lost momentum and have to gas it even more because the rpm is still too low to accelerate in 4th gear.

It's great if you never leave the city though lol
Good luck with the 6 speed,not any better then the 42RLE as it has it's own issues.

|V3nom|

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what issues does it have? doesnt seem like it would have the same lack luster of highway acceleration as the 42rle since it has 6 gears to choose from instead of 4.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm sure if it's ever been done, or even compatible, but I'd put a 545RFE in before I'd put in a 45RFE!!! lol
The 545RFE and 45RFE are the exact same transmission. Its a programming change that generates another gear and turns one into the other.