245/70r16s Fit on Stock Rim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MI04

Reaction score
Currently have a 04 jeep liberty sport with the stock 215/75r16s and looking to go up to a 245/70r16 but was told that these wouldn't fit on the stock rims at Walmart today. Does anyone know one way or the other if these will fit? I know nothing about tires so any help is appreciated.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had stock 235-70-16 on my 02 fit great without a lift . I think to run 245 you need to be lifted atleast pound the pinch weld. I have never heard someone say they dont fit its a recommended size around this forum. I think your problem is... Walmart.

MI04

Reaction score
He was telling me its because im going from a 75 to a 70 it wouldn't fit the wheel. I know nothing about tires so i couldn't tell him he was wrong, but yeah it seems super common around here.

Last edited:

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are 265/70r16s on stock wheels

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

95whtzr2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously, go somewhere else. The 75 to 70 is the sidewall height (a percentage based on the width), not the tread width. Wouldn't effect rim fitment.

I don't think your suspension will handle the 245/70's stock though. Rims won't be an issue.

The problem is Walmart as stated above.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Wal-Mart doesn't know their ass from their elbow :D

You might rub the 245's a bit if you are on stock suspension. Be prepared to heat up and push/bang on some plastic to get them to fit without rubbing.

235/70/16 is also another option. That was the "Optional" stock size. Worked well at stock height.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the problem lies between the counter and the chair behind it.

I'm running 245/70/16 on 03 renegade rims.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got and have had 245/70/16 on my early 02 stock wheels for as long as I've had it. Just replaced my old set of Michelin's with a set of Kelly's. Still original suspension so was considered "pre-lowered" but pretty saggy now and no rubbing lock to lock. Measure center of wheel to bottom edge of fender flare. I'm around 19" in the front and a bit higher in the back.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got and have had 245/70/16 on my early 02 stock wheels for as long as I've had it. Just replaced my old set of Michelin's with a set of Kelly's. Still original suspension so was considered "pre-lowered" but pretty saggy now and no rubbing lock to lock. Measure center of wheel to bottom edge of fender flare. I'm around 19" in the front and a bit higher in the back.

Dude mine was the same before i lifted i thought i was off because most are in the mid 18s but i was around 19 now i am at 21.5 front and 21 rear.

Off topic sorry

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently have a 04 jeep liberty sport with the stock 215/75r16s and looking to go up to a 245/70r16 but was told that these wouldn't fit on the stock rims at Walmart today. Does anyone know one way or the other if these will fit? I know nothing about tires so any help is appreciated.

7 inch wide wheel is good for any size tire we can run even lifted , many run 265-75-16s on a 7 inch wide wheel.
Walmart has some strange things they do and they follow the book way too much as far as sizes etc go.
But 245-70-16 fits fine, of course depending on how much sag you have

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tires will fit.

The issue is with wallmart,like many other chain tires stores, will only mount the tire size listed on the door sticker.It's a company policy for liability issues.Alot of newer vehicles have drastic negative effects when putting even slightly larger then stock tires on so they don't risk it.Perfectly understandable from a business standpoint.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the record, I have 245-70-16's on stock suspension, currently sagged 3/4" on 3 corners, full inch on the front left. No rubbing or fitment issues detected. On healthy stock suspension, it will be even less of an issue.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For the record, I have 245-70-16's on stock suspension, currently sagged 3/4" on 3 corners, full inch on the front left. No rubbing or fitment issues detected. On healthy stock suspension, it will be even less of an issue.

LOL mine rubbed some with less than 10,000 miles when new , only when backing up but they did :icon_razz:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If mine are rubbing, I don't notice it.. so if they are, it must be a very small amount.

Reaction score
Reviving an old post....

What I'm gathering here is that 245/70R16 tires will fit stock wheels on any KJ... depending on if it's lifted or sagged or what have you.
Mine is lifted. Just bought that exact size tire and am planning on mounting them on my stock '06 Renegade wheels.

Will that backspacing be enough for it not to rub at all ?

I have not done the pinchwelds yet.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Reviving an old post....

What I'm gathering here is that 245/70R16 tires will fit stock wheels on any KJ... depending on if it's lifted or sagged or what have you.
Mine is lifted. Just bought that exact size tire and am planning on mounting them on my stock '06 Renegade wheels.

Will that backspacing be enough for it not to rub at all ?

I have not done the pinchwelds yet.
You're good to go
but your remarks on 245-70-16s not rubbing anytime, if sagged or not is off base.
I have personally had a 07 KJ pull in my garage with worn out 235-70-16s and rubbing
But they will of course fit with stock 7 inch wide wheels

Offroad Bob

OffroadBob
Reaction score
I run 245/75 16’s on the stock 5 spoke wheels on my 02 Sport. I do have a 3.5 in lift on the front and 2” on the rear. If I really cut my wheels hard , the tire will polish the sway bar. Biggest I ran pre-lift was 235/70 with no issues

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
The tires will fit.

The issue is with wallmart,like many other chain tires stores, will only mount the tire size listed on the door sticker.It's a company policy for liability issues.Alot of newer vehicles have drastic negative effects when putting even slightly larger then stock tires on so they don't risk it.Perfectly understandable from a business standpoint.
Not entirely true. You can show up with your tires and your wheels and they will mount and balance them.

real issue here is the suspension.

Even 225/75R16s will rub the pinch weld on sharp turns if you running the notoriously mushy OE style stock or “whatever was cheap” suspension.