215/85 r16 on 1.5'' lift and stock rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning to go with this size tires on a 07 gasser currently sitting at 20.5'' both front and rear. I see that some people run these and have no issues. Just to be on the safe side - is there somebody that had issues with similar setup?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What type of lift do you have on it?
Those tires are quite skinny and over 30 inches tall
So would need to make sure you have a true full spring lift to accommodate them
Tread width is only 6 inches wide so airing down on a 7 inch wide wheel is not really advisable
haven't seen many run that size really

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have two reasons for tryign to avoid the 245/75s.

1)Where I live the vast majority of tires this size come in LT variety. They weight like 20-22 kgs. This is 50% increase of the unsprung mass as compared to the 235/70s I have now. So that combined with the much harder LT wall will result in harsher ride and decrease mpg.

2)With the amount of lift I have the chances are the 245/75s will rub and I''ll have to smash the pinch welds and bend quite some plastic. Not that it can't be done but I am quite a fan of keeping the stock designs intact as much as possible.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I just realized some liberties had factory installed 215 tires.I wonder were those fitted on the 7'' rims or were there other rims?

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will never get away with the mpg hit,even with 215/85's you will see a mpg hit and ride change as those are LT rated tires also(31 results for that tire size on tire rack are all LT rated).

True that. But 215/85 LTs weigh 16 kg as opposed to 21 kg for 245/75s. So the hit should be much smaller and more importantly ride comfort and suspension strain should remain close to factory settings.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True that. But 215/85 LTs weigh 16 kg as opposed to 21 kg for 245/75s. So the hit should be much smaller and more importantly ride comfort and suspension strain should remain close to factory settings.
I don't know about you but putting LT's on my KJ made it ride 100% better.I have a Town Car for that mushy/floaty ride.I want my Jeep to ride,well like a Jeep.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's a matter of taste I guess and there is no right and wrong when it comes to taste.

Then again I have no other ride but the Jeep as of yet so I am trying to get the best of both worlds :D

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk why you would want a tire size made for duallys on a KJ.. If I were in your shoes, I'd get a 245/75 in a 6 ply. Not terribly heavy, mine weren't even ten pounds heavier than the standard load sizes, maybe like 5 or 6 pound difference. But really, a KJ for gas mileage?? Don't lift it if you want half way decent MPGs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Idk why you would want a tire size made for duallys on a KJ.. If I were in your shoes, I'd get a 245/75 in a 6 ply. Not terribly heavy, mine weren't even ten pounds heavier than the standard load sizes, maybe like 5 or 6 pound difference. But really, a KJ for gas mileage?? Don't lift it if you want half way decent MPGs.

My 04 with over 4 inches of lift, 32s, 4.10s, aftermarket bumpers, heavy skids etc still gets about the same as stock ( 21 on the highway at 75 plus, have gotten over 23 on a long trip) So while a lot of times lifts / heavier tires do hurt, if you do it right doesn't affect them that much
Oh and I run p rated tires

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 with over 4 inches of lift, 32s, 4.10s, aftermarket bumpers, heavy skids etc still gets about the same as stock ( 21 on the highway at 75 plus, have gotten over 23 on a long trip) So while a lot of times lifts / heavier tires do hurt, if you do it right doesn't affect them that much
Oh and I run p rated tires

According to the overhead I 'average' 16.8 MPG. Mixed use of highway and back roads. It's cool to have somewhat decent mileage in a lifted vehicle, but really if you're lifting something and want good MPG in return... Well, do I really need to say much? Not too many people I know that drive lifted trucks and Jeeps for the gas mileage :happy175:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW that's what's nice about the Duratracs, you can get them from a SL to a Load C, D and E. I feel like I should have just coughed up the extra coin for them, I'm trying to get my boss to let me warranty my tires for "ride quality" issues and swap them out for Duratracs. :emotions34: