2009 Jeep Liberty "trail rated"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spolebitski

Reaction score
Is the 2009 Jeep Liberty "trail rated" or does it depend on the wheels. I read that someone with a 09 and Premium Group II is not trail rated because of the wheels? Any information?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the 2009 Jeep Liberty "trail rated" or does it depend on the wheels. I read that someone with a 09 and Premium Group II is not trail rated because of the wheels? Any information?
"trail rated" is just a marketing gimik and has no effect on wheather the vehicle is really trail rated or not.Basically it's just a $5 emblem and nothing more.

"Real Jeeps are built and not bought"

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was looking at new KKs on the lot not to long ago I noticed KKs with command Trac 2 had the trail rated badges and ones with Selec Trac 2 did not. I was looking at KKs with no options to fully loaded. I even saw a few with the package you mentioned and only the ones with Command Trac 2 had the badge. My only conclusion is because the Selec trac 2 doesn't have the part-time 4x4 option.

But like TJKJ said, It's a sales gimik.

spolebitski

Reaction score
When I was looking at new KKs on the lot not to long ago I noticed KKs with command Trac 2 had the trail rated badges and ones with Selec Trac 2 did not. I was looking at KKs with no options to fully loaded. I even saw a few with the package you mentioned and only the ones with Command Trac 2 had the badge. My only conclusion is because the Selec trac 2 doesn't have the part-time 4x4 option.

But like TJKJ said, It's a sales gimik.

What would part time 4wd be? I know that it has 3 options 2wd, 4wd low and 4wd all-time (determines if you need all the power). Am i wrong?

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would part time 4wd be? I know that it has 3 options 2wd, 4wd low and 4wd all-time (determines if you need all the power). Am i wrong?

*Both have N Gear
Command Trac 2 = 2wd - 4hi(part time) - 4Lo

Selec Trac 2 = 2wd - 4hi(Full time) - 4Lo

Part time you can't use on wet/Dry Pavement. You will just destroy the t-case after pro-long use on Dry pavement. It's only ment for Dirt/Mud/Snow and other slippery surfaces.
Where the full time (AKA All wheel drive) can be left on no matter what the road conditions are.

So with the info you are telling me. The one you looked at has the Selec Trac 2.

lol @ the people who think "Trail Rated" is just a sales gimmick.

That is all.

I knows it's not entire Gimmick but here this.... I remember reading an article that Jeep/Chrysler said that all Trail Rated jeeps can successfully navigate the Rubicon Trail. Now I never been to the Rubicon Trail but can you see a stock Jeep Patriot doing that all b/c it's trail rated? Plus does my Stock KJ make a better offroader than an older Stock XJ b/c I'm trail rated and it's not? See our point.

But despite all that. I think it's still cool to have the shinny badge and ppl who don't have a clue about it think you pay big bucks for it and the woooooo at it :-D

Last edited:

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Jeep means by "Trail Rated" is irrelevant because it is only something that Jeeps can get. If it was an rating that any new suv or truck could potentially be eligible for it would mean a lot more.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knows it's not entire Gimmick but here this.... I remember reading an article that Jeep/Chrysler said that all Trail Rated jeeps can successfully navigate the Rubicon Trail. Now I never been to the Rubicon Trail but can you see a stock Jeep Patriot doing that all b/c it's trail rated? Plus does my Stock KJ make a better offroader than an older Stock XJ b/c I'm trail rated and it's not? See our point.

But despite all that. I think it's still cool to have the shinny badge and ppl who don't have a clue about it think you pay big bucks for it and the woooooo at it :-D

I am pretty sure its not the Rubicon trail but a test facility with trail like obstacles to test ground clearance, approach/departure angles, etc. and if the vehicle can pass it then it gets the emblem. Whats sad is that they make vehicles that won't pass their own test.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"trail rated" is just a marketing gimik and has no effect on wheather the vehicle is really trail rated or not.Basically it's just a $5 emblem and nothing more.

"Real Jeeps are built and not bought"

My understanding was that Jeep took all their vehicles over the Rubicon trail to get that rating. Not true anymore?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure its not the Rubicon trail but a test facility with trail like obstacles to test ground clearance, approach/departure angles, etc. and if the vehicle can pass it then it gets the emblem. Whats sad is that they make vehicles that won't pass their own test.

I believe the Liberty was taken over the Rubicon by Jeep before it went to market.

First released for sale in the U.S. in Spring 2001, the Jeep Liberty is set to capture new market share for Daimler-Chrysler. It's turned out to be one of those vehicles you either love or hate. People love the Liberty (or Libby as some call it) for it's comfortable ride, yet tough ancestry. The majority of those who dislike the Liberty seem to be owners of pre-IFS (independent front suspension) Jeeps. The Liberty has drawn some fire for the controversial decision made by Daimler-Chrysler to convert to IFS since this type of suspension is often seen as weeker than a live axle setup. DC, however, maintains that the Jeep Liberty is just as tough as all the other Jeep models and took a Liberty over the Rubicon Trail as proof (all Jeep models released to date have been taken over the Rubicon in stock shape prior to being labelled a Jeep).

http://www.jeepsonly.com/jeepliberty.html

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
My drivers side front fender is "Trail Rated" ........and that fender will make it over The Rubicon......I know this because it has a badge on it.....:D

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jnautQuote:
Originally Posted by Jeepman56

I believe the Liberty was taken over the Rubicon by Jeep before it went to market.

Quote:
First released for sale in the U.S. in Spring 2001, the Jeep Liberty is set to capture new market share for Daimler-Chrysler. It's turned out to be one of those vehicles you either love or hate. People love the Liberty (or Libby as some call it) for it's comfortable ride, yet tough ancestry. The majority of those who dislike the Liberty seem to be owners of pre-IFS (independent front suspension) Jeeps. The Liberty has drawn some fire for the controversial decision made by Daimler-Chrysler to convert to IFS since this type of suspension is often seen as weeker than a live axle setup. DC, however, maintains that the Jeep Liberty is just as tough as all the other Jeep models and took a Liberty over the Rubicon Trail as proof (all Jeep models released to date have been taken over the Rubicon in stock shape prior to being labelled a Jeep).
http://www.jeepsonly.com/jeepliberty.html
The KJ was the last "new" Jeep to do the Rubicon trail in stock form,well sort of.They had a D44 rear end but the same IFS front.It basically was trashed after that run but it made it.The commander,patroit,compass,and the KK's have not done the Rubicon in pre-production.

Boblemoche

Reaction score
When I was looking at new KKs on the lot not to long ago I noticed KKs with command Trac 2 had the trail rated badges and ones with Selec Trac 2 did not

mine came with select track 2 and trail rated badge. I guess all the select track 2 you saw where on fully loaded limited witch are not trail rated because of the 18'' wheels

spolebitski

Reaction score
The whole 18 inch wheels really gets me ... I think was kind of silly to make a liberty model that was not "trail rated" especially when add the premium options (Premium Group II).

redrock08

Reaction score
Answer to your Trail Rated question

What makes a Jeep Liberty trail rated is the rear end diff ratio. I had a Liberty built. On the list of options was two gear ratios. One was standard and the other lower ratio is what gets you the trail rated badge not what trim or transsmision combo.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What makes a Jeep Liberty trail rated is the rear end diff ratio. I had a Liberty built. On the list of options was two gear ratios. One was standard and the other lower ratio is what gets you the trail rated badge not what trim or transsmision combo.
No it does not.In '08 the KK had 2 gear ratios,one for the auto trans and one for the manual trans,you could not pick the ratio.

Auto trans got the 3.73's
Manual trans got the 3.21's

Now for '09 the KK no longer has the manual trans option so all gear ratios are 3.73's,trail rated or not.

redrock08

Reaction score
Ratio question

You obviosly don't know what you are talking about, because I have one in my drive way which is not trail rated. I could get 2 different gear ratios with my auto trans. when I ordered mine, I chose the higher ratio for gas savings, little to my knowledge then; after I received my libby I called th dealer to ask why I did not get the trail rated badge on the side of my libby. They replied that I needed the lower gear ratio to get that trail rated badge.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You obviosly don't know what you are talking about, because I have one in my drive way which is not trail rated. I could get 2 different gear ratios with my auto trans. when I ordered mine, I chose the higher ratio for gas savings, little to my knowledge then; after I received my libby I called th dealer to ask why I did not get the trail rated badge on the side of my libby. They replied that I needed the lower gear ratio to get that trail rated badge.
So what where the gear ratio's then? there was only 2 avaiable for '08 and that depended on what transmission you got,sure you had a choice.