2005 Liberty 3.7 - metal in oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Liberty with the 3.7. It currently has 85,000 miles and had 62,000 when I bought it a little over year ago. The mileage is correct.

Runs good, sounds good, good power, but I'm getting metal flakes in the oil at 3000 miles. Not a lot - but enough settles in the pan that it is plainly visible when pouring. I'm not sure how regular it was maintained when I bought it - but it appeared to be getting the basics.

It does burn some oil - I've never had to add oil between oil changes but it does creep down the dipstick from the top full line to almost the add line in 3000 miles.

Any idea what this might be? Timing chains/tensioners?

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bearings I bet, sounds like a passage is blocked or someone let it run dry. Metal in oil isnt good

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to check the oil pick up screen, could be that your starving your entire engine of oil which will ultimately lead to its demise sooner than later. Not an easy thing to do, but maybe by pulling a valve cover and inspecting for sludge there will give you a sign that maybe sludge is your problem. It's possible to remove oil pan without removing engine.
Or run it...:shrug: I've read a few stories with sludge build up with lack of maintenance and very short commutes that don't allow engine to reach full operating temperature.

Just a thought.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Eek metal flakes in oil! :thumbsdown:
I know I would want to remove the oil pan, & check PU screen and inside valve covers~!! (can run with covers off to see oil flow)
If there is major build ups, including lots of left over particulate matter, that will continue to possibly circulate or plug up the pan's screen.
If you don't address this soon, you may hear grinding, then chitty, chitty, bang, clunk. :icon_lol:
After check & clean ups, full synthetic oil every 2k miles to see if it then improves. I think I would want to add some STP wear protection ASAP too!

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can have the metal content analyzed:

Blackstone Labs

That's the plan. I'll run it up to 1000 - 1500 miles and have a local shop (that I trust) change the oil and send it off for analyze. I'm betting its a frozen timing chain tensioner(s) and the the timing chain(s) has some slack causing wear on the sprockets and chain.

I seriously doubt its a rod or main bearing - after 20,000 miles it would be knocking - most likely thrown. Possibly the valve guides but we'll see.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the plan. I'll run it up to 1000 - 1500 miles and have a local shop (that I trust) change the oil and send it off for analyze. I'm betting its a frozen timing chain tensioner(s) and the the timing chain(s) has some slack causing wear on the sprockets and chain.

I seriously doubt its a rod or main bearing - after 20,000 miles it would be knocking - most likely thrown. Possibly the valve guides but we'll see.
You'd have some nasty noises if you had a bad timing chain tensioner and it wouldn't run the best since it would be out of time.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bearings I bet, sounds like a passage is blocked or someone let it run dry. Metal in oil isnt good

That's it - except the engine shows no signs of having been run low on oil.

Except for the rod bearings the engine looked like an engine with 85,000 miles, a little carbon on the pistons, timing chains were in very good condition the stories I've heard about them, no sludge anywhere and the heads were surprisingly clean. The rod bearings looked like an engine with 170K, worn well beyond where a modern engine should be with only 85K.

Second Dodge I've owned with an expensive premature failure of the power train - I am batting 0 for 2. The first one had a transmission fail at 27K. I've been driving for thirty years and have not experienced similar failures with any other manufacturer (Ford, Chevy, Kia and Hyundai).

It's getting a used pickup engine dropped in that has 100K miles and a one year warranty. I'll be getting rid of it next year this time just before the warranty is up. I sure as **** won't be replacing it with another effing Dodge product.

Latest posts

Members online