2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4 6cyl 3.7 Oil Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerald_D

Reaction score
I have 176,322 miles on my Jeep Liberty and currently use it for short drives. The oil is still clear and I was wondering if it was possible to change out the oil filter only without changing the oil. If you are familiar with the filter location, it’s easily accessible. Even if I don’t, it would be nice to know for future reference. Thanks.

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the oil is clean then the filter will also be clean, however short journeys and sitting about are not good for the oil so not charging it is a bit of a false economy.

Jerald_D

Reaction score
If the oil is clean then the filter will also be clean, however short journeys and sitting about are not good for the oil so not charging it is a bit of a false economy.
For future reference, is it possible to change the oil filter without having to change the oil? Thanks.

Reaction score
I did that last week. Oil was slightly leaking from oil filter and tightening it didn’t help. I put a pan under the car and replaced the filter and the leak stoped. Not much oil came out.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can change the filter without an oil change, you will only loose what's in the filter.

Jerald_D

Reaction score
Thanks. I’m pretty much aware of the do’s and don’ts of oil change. I’ve just never been in a position to change just the filter before draining the oil, unsure if much fluid would be lost. It would be good to know.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Generally speaking I've replaced the filter every second oil change (still probably more frequently than recommended intervals) o I'm curious about OP's thinking here & I simply don't understand "I’ve just never been in a position to change just the filter before draining the oil"

As to how much oil'd be lost, if KJowner's right - & no reason to suggest otherwise - about a pint.

Jerald_D

Reaction score
Generally speaking I've replaced the filter every second oil change (still probably more frequently than recommended intervals) o I'm curious about OP's thinking here & I simply don't understand "I’ve just never been in a position to change just the filter before draining the oil"

As to how much oil'd be lost, if KJowner's right - & no reason to suggest otherwise - about a pint.
Thanks Deb. It never crossed my mind in the past to change the oil filter (or had a need to) other than when changing the oil and filter both at regular intervals. Just the oil filter by itself - I was just wondering how much fluid would be lost if just the oil filter was removed and replaced. My current situation has me rethinking some options just to make sure things are properly taken care of. Appreciate your comment(s).

OldJoe

Reaction score
I have 176,322 miles on my Jeep Liberty and currently use it for short drives. The oil is still clear and I was wondering if it was possible to change out the oil filter only without changing the oil. If you are familiar with the filter location, it’s easily accessible. Even if I don’t, it would be nice to know for future reference. Thanks.
I have a '04 w/ 153K. I always changed oil and filter every 5K. Now that I'm retired, I don't put on nearly as many miles but I still change the oil and filter every 6 months. An oil change is about the cheapest thing you can do to keep your Jeep, or any other car running for a long time.

Members online

No members online now.