2004 Liberty sport limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlwright

Reaction score
Just bought the liberty a couple weeks ago. Came with a 2" suspension lift. Extremely good condition.

When it shifts into 3rd gear initially there is a knocking sound and I can feel it through the pedals usually this stops after about 30 seconds, then right before it shifts into 4th gear it starts up again. This usually happens around 35-50mph.

Seems like I'm losing or slipping 3rd gear.

What are your thoughs? Would it be cheaper to have the transmission rebuilt or get a used one that works?

Last edited:

jlwright

Reaction score
jlwright-albums-2004-jeep-liberty-sport-limited-picture4780-my-jeep.jpg

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rebuilding yours will be in the 2000-and up depending of course what is wrong, but plan on around that for full rebuild
If replacing yourself then you can find one in a boneyard cheaper of course.
If its never had the required services then it could possibly be going south on you.
I would have a trans shop check it out right away, could be something simple that if let go could mean more $$$
I'm assuming automatic but if manual could be clutch/ trans mount etc

What kind of lift is on it by the way?

jlwright

Reaction score
Its automatic. I havent gotten a chance to get under it yet to say exactly what kind of lift is on it. Too much bad weather here and no garage.

I definatly dont want to rebuild it if its going to cost 2000. Ive seen used ones with 60k on them for 550 and I have a family member that may be able help swap them.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think its ****** just have a shop check it out, My NV3550 was making a rattling sound and a clunk but still drove and its currently in the shop right now getting a new transmission & clutch, Syncro's are worn, Input shaft worn and a multitude of internal issues, Not surprised due to the conditions I have put her through lol.

jlwright

Reaction score
I havent checked to see if it happens in 4wd, but I will when I leave work tonight hah.

If it didnt happen in 4wd, what would you suspect the issue would be?

jlwright

Reaction score
I havent done anything too serious with her yet, atleast not anything that would cause transmission problems. As for the previous owner I cannot say what they might have done.

Strange that I drove her aroung for almost three weeks before this started to happen though.

I will be taking her to the shop ASAP to have the transmission checked out.

Looking to make the stance wider, with the lift that it has, the body roll seems more prominate. Also NOT looking to spend a ton of money to do this if possible.

What are your thoughts on wheel spacers?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I havent done anything too serious with her yet, atleast not anything that would cause transmission problems. As for the previous owner I cannot say what they might have done.

Strange that I drove her aroung for almost three weeks before this started to happen though.

Looking to make the stance wider, with the lift that it has, the body roll seems more prominate. Also NOT looking to spend a ton of money to do this if possible.

I would look at springs and shocks first if you have body roll, mine with over 4 inches of lift is more stable than it was stock. You may just have a spacer lift which if you do means suspension is shot .
Also have you ever driven a KJ before or is this the first one? If not then possibly not used to the way one handles.
When you have time measure middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare and report back
wheel spacers, some run them but ..................

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score

For the price you'd spend on the only "decent" spacers out there (Spidertrax) you can just pick up a set of Cragar Soft 8's or any other stealies like that.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hedsic is right, I had spacers on mine with factory steel wheels. Found some moabs with tires and bought them and sold my spacers the next morning. Wheels costed me $40 after I sold the spacers. I saw some cragers for sale local for $100 for all five, 16x7 4inch backspacing.

Sent with the power of children's screams!!!

jlwright

Reaction score
When it shifts into 3rd gear initially there is a knocking sound and I can feel it through the pedals usually this stops after about 30 seconds, then right before it shifts into 4th gear it starts up again. This usually happens around 35-50mph.

Seems like I'm losing or slipping 3rd gear.

Turns out when I put it in 4wd the sound goes away. Any idea what would cause this?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.