2002 Jeep Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike_nvt

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

My name is Mike and i am new here. I live and work in Amsterdam (Netherlands) and i have 2 jeeps. I have a prepared Wrangler and i own a standard 2002 Jeep Liberty.

I also wanne prepare my Jeep Liberty becausee here in Europe not much prepaired Liberty's are doing offroad.

I have the 45RFE transmission and what transfercase bolt on? I have a dana 300 with a 4:1 kit. If i am correct both are 23 spline. I also have the possibillity to buy a JK Rubicon transfercase. Does this also match the 45RFE? The reason why i ask this is because i have 2 built dana 44 axles with 4.56 R&P and ARB's in it but the front axle has a passenger drop diff so i need a transfercase that is also passenger side drop on the front

I hope some could help me.

Kind regards
Mike

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a bold vision that you're playing with, and I like it!! I have no answers on the specifics of all that and whether it will work out, but with enough engineering anything will work right? The transmission is the most stout one that came on Liberties, and it has more available adapters than the later models, so you have that going for you.

If you do get it sorted out, do a write up, as I for one would love to see this, and likely along with everyone else here! Best of luck to you Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

My name is Mike and i am new here. I live and work in Amsterdam (Netherlands) and i have 2 jeeps. I have a prepared Wrangler and i own a standard 2002 Jeep Liberty.

I also wanne prepare my Jeep Liberty becausee here in Europe not much prepaired Liberty's are doing offroad.

I have the 45RFE transmission and what transfercase bolt on? I have a dana 300 with a 4:1 kit. If i am correct both are 23 spline. I also have the possibillity to buy a JK Rubicon transfercase. Does this also match the 45RFE? The reason why i ask this is because i have 2 built dana 44 axles with 4.56 R&P and ARB's in it but the front axle has a passenger drop diff so i need a transfercase that is also passenger side drop on the front

I hope some could help me.

Kind regards
Mike
The dana 300 will not work but the JK's RockTrac will as long as it came out of a auto trans JK built before 2011,the shifter will be reversed(2wd pulled all the way up in 4low position).You need a left side drop t-case,called drivers side drop for left hand drive vehicles or passenger side drop for right hand drive vehicles.

Mike_nvt

Reaction score
The dana 300 will not work but the JK's RockTrac will as long as it came out of a auto trans JK built before 2011,the shifter will be reversed(2wd pulled all the way up in 4low position).You need a left side drop t-case,called drivers side drop for left hand drive vehicles or passenger side drop for right hand drive vehicles.

The reason i wanne use a passenger side drop t-case because i allready have the dana 44 axles with ARB and 4.56 R&P. The front axle is passenger side drop. So what transfercase could be used for passenger side drop that would fit the 45RFE with adapter?

Mike_nvt

Reaction score
This is a bold vision that you're playing with, and I like it!! I have no answers on the specifics of all that and whether it will work out, but with enough engineering anything will work right? The transmission is the most stout one that came on Liberties, and it has more available adapters than the later models, so you have that going for you.

If you do get it sorted out, do a write up, as I for one would love to see this, and likely along with everyone else here! Best of luck to you Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a very simple tought. When i wanted my cj8 have more power i put in a merlin big block, when i wanted my cherokee to be lifted i conversed it to a long arm conversion front and back, when i wanted a wrangler on big tires and road legal.

So i came up with the idea off making the liberty more offroad ready.

Parts here are not cheap so i must be creative here.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a left hand drive KJ.

Then you need a drivers drop t-case and front axle unless you really want to modify more then needed.

The only t-case I know of that can mate to a 45RFE and can be passenger side drop is a Atlas,about $2400 plus what ever shipping to your neck of the woods(I imagine about as much as the t-case goes for).

Mike_nvt

Reaction score
Then you need a drivers drop t-case and front axle unless you really want to modify more then needed.

The only t-case I know of that can mate to a 45RFE and can be passenger side drop is a Atlas,about $2400 plus what ever shipping to your neck of the woods(I imagine about as much as the t-case goes for).

Yes a Atlas bringing overhere will cost around 3500 dollar.

Otherwise maybe i drop the automatic transmission and install manual drive that has more different option to install other transfercase.

The rubi crawler will not fit my 45RFE and only fit the 42RFE if i am correct. otherwise i would have installed the Rubicrawler.