2" lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is a complete kit but i would not recomend it. if you are going to cheap out i would get the daystar kit. at least then you get bumpstops and new strut plates. i dont think i would want a metal spacer on my jeep. your jeep will be fine on those tires but i would go a litlle bigger

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i don't necessarily want to cheap out. What is a step up from the daystar?

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37151
The is similar to the daystar on the list except the front uses a metal spacer that appears to go between the clevis and strut to give the lift for the front.

What is your budget for a lift? Be honest about it and why you want to lift. I put the daystar on mine and like many others who do the daystar, am getting rancho/ome to replace it because the ride is rough (it was harsh when I first put it on but everything has broken in/worn out to the point it is just rough now) and I lost articulation on the trails.

I see you have an 02 with probably stock suspension. If that is the case, save up and get new struts/shocks and springs. Everyone with high miles who replaces the worn out springs and shocks say they never knew how bad their old stuff was worn out until they put new stuff in.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is a complete kit but i would not recomend it. if you are going to cheap out i would get the daystar kit. at least then you get bumpstops and new strut plates. i dont think i would want a metal spacer on my jeep. your jeep will be fine on those tires but i would go a litlle bigger

I was told daystar does not include bumpstops anymore as they are no longer needed. Cost cutting measure, I am sure.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37151

What is your budget for a lift? Be honest about it and why you want to lift. I put the daystar on mine and like many others who do the daystar, am getting rancho/ome to replace it because the ride is rough (it was harsh when I first put it on but everything has broken in/worn out to the point it is just rough now) and I lost articulation on the trails.

I see you have an 02 with probably stock suspension. If that is the case, save up and get new struts/shocks and springs. Everyone with high miles who replaces the worn out springs and shocks say they never knew how bad their old stuff was worn out until they put new stuff in.

Correct, it has 150k miles, and is going in for new brakes on Tuesday. I was going to have him look at the shocks because they feel like its time for new ones. I have about 500$ Im looking to put into my jeep, if that much. Im trying to make it off road capable. I know a lift should come further down the road but just exploring my options at this point

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can do the work yourself you can get very close to that. Keep in mind you will need an alignment after you do the swap and it is recommended to have the alignment checked about 500 miles after you get the initial alignment/install done to make sure everything is still within spec once it is broken in.
You can get the front ranchos (17505) for a little under $200 shipped from a number of different sources. I am going to price the rest of it out except rear shocks because I recently got a pair of rears for a good price from another member here.
I am currently trying to find out if going with the front OME 925 or 926 springs is fine for stock weight (no heavy bumper or winch) or if I have to go 927 to prevent sagging later on. I want a smooth ride cause I can easily put 20k miles a year on Cherry.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As for the tires, I think it'd be cool. Make it look more lifted than it is...but not to small...JMO

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
150,000 on the stock suspension, WOW, the springs and shocks were toast at 30 to 40,000 I can only imagine how bad it has to be riding!
OME 927s do not ride hard or rough at all , I have put 100,000 on a set so yes I drive mine a lot, so not a problem with it being a DD
If you don't want to go to the Heavy Duty 927s I would at the very least do the 926s in front and the 948s in the erar along with new shocks all the way around
RSX 17004 Ranchos for the rear and RSX 17505s for the front
springs are about 170 per set

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told daystar does not include bumpstops anymore as they are no longer needed. Cost cutting measure, I am sure.

Here is a post that descrides the differences and history of the Daystar Kits.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38919

And Read this post farther down about bumpstops. Yes they are needed. On ANY lifted KJ. After going back and forth with Daystar, they sent some to me for free.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=410789#p410789

And after all of that, I have a pair of OME 927's in my garage ready to go in once the weather warms up a little. Listen to all the pro's on here and just go OME to start with. Would have saved me a lot of time. But I have a lot more experience and understanding of KJ suspension "whats and whys" under my belt now. :)

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Tom. I remember how it was like driving a civic on the bumpstops after I put the daystar stuff on and it has already become a boat on the freeway so I was just afraid of going back to a rock. I did put my rear shocks on and extended my brake lines and you actually feel the back going over speed bumps now :p

With 150,000 miles on stock stuff I am sure that thing rides like a dream on the smooth freeways. Kind of like a Chrysler New Yorker

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here installed the 2" Budget Boost by Teraflex? Pros? Cons? Thoughts?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone here installed the 2" Budget Boost by Teraflex? Pros? Cons? Thoughts?

Face it,200 bucks pos,do it again,700-800 do it once,be sorta cool,get some real tires,be cooler,get a bumper,etc.

Latest posts

Members online