2.4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sideshowant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey whats up all? i just purchased my first jeep last week. it's an 05 with the 4 cyl 2.4 l 6 speed. i've been on here since i bought it trying to learn about my new investment, but i'm a little bummed out that the 4 cyl isn't a very popular item on the board. i'm starting to think i should have gone for the 3.7l. so my question is, is their anything good about my new ride?
also what are somethings i should look out for? i know about the ball joint issue.
thanks,

dnm45227

Reaction score
other than the power issue (and assuming you test drove it, you we're ok with the performance), should be the same as any other kj. as for something good about it, it's a jeep.

btw, welcome aboard.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I thought the 2.4 wasn't offered in the KJ beginning when the CRD came out....that it was either the 3.7 or the CRD?

sideshowant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome! thanks. would anyone recommend towing with it? it wouldn't be anything serious just my motorcycle.

dnm45227

Reaction score
as long as it wasn't hanging off the back of an rv you should be ok, but i'm no expert.

sideshowant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering cause the 2.4 wasn't in the towing chart on the jeep site.

my owners manual is on order, and we may be getting snow soon. if i had to use the 4x4 how would i use it? can i engage it while rolling? also whats up with the passenger side air bag light? when i first turn it on it's lit then a few seconds later it shuts off. is their an on/off switch for it?

thanks,

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not tow with it. The 2.4 is not know for strength or a very long life. I would not stress it any more than regular daily driving.

It's not a bad option, just remember that it does have some limitations that the CRD and 3.7 do not have.

dnm45227

Reaction score
sideshowant said:
i was just wondering cause the 2.4 wasn't in the towing chart on the jeep site.

my owners manual is on order, and we may be getting snow soon. if i had to use the 4x4 how would i use it? can i engage it while rolling? also whats up with the passenger side air bag light? when i first turn it on it's lit then a few seconds later it shuts off. is their an on/off switch for it?

thanks,

do a search for the selec-trac vs command trac transfer cases first of all. secondly, the manual says (someone correct me if i'm wrong) you can engauge 4 wheel drive up to 55mph. again, make sure you know which t case you have so you know what surfaces you can run 4 wd on.

as for the airbag light, that's normal. i think it's a like the check engine light when you start the car, comes on to let you know the bulbs ok. it does have second gen airbags. supposedly won't deploy if a small person child is in the seat. light will stay on if it senses a small person is sitting in the seat, but will go out when the person gets off/out.

my light will stay on if i put a 12 pack on the passenger seat, but go out if i move it to the floor.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
...as for the airbag light, that's normal. i think it's a like the check engine light when you start the car, comes on to let you know the bulbs ok. it does have second gen airbags. supposedly won't deploy if a small person child is in the seat. light will stay on if it senses a small person is sitting in the seat, but will go out when the person gets off/out.

Is this the same for '02 KJs?

jpm

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course, the coolest thing is if it does blow up, a 5.7 Hemi crate motor should replace it quite nicely! laugh.gif

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
kjpilot said:
Of course, the coolest thing is if it does blow up, a 5.7 Hemi crate motor should replace it quite nicely! laugh.gif

Then you'd need a pilot's licence......Ha Ha

Just drive it and have fun. I wouldn't suggest towing. Even the 3.7l with the standard ****** is rated at 2,500 but with the A/T it is 5,000 pounds with a tow package. So as far as towing goes both the motor and ****** make a difference.

I did think they stopped using the 4 cyl though, but maby the 3.7l is standard and the 4 ****** is still an option??

You should get better gas mileage maby???

Oh, welcome to the board.

Dave

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Dave said:
kjpilot said:

Then you'd need a pilot's licence......Ha Ha

Just drive it and have fun. I wouldn't suggest towing. Even the 3.7l with the standard ****** is rated at 2,500 but with the A/T it is 5,000 pounds with a tow package. So as far as towing goes both the motor and ****** make a difference.

I did think they stopped using the 4 cyl though, but maby the 3.7l is standard and the 4 ****** is still an option??

You should get better gas mileage maby???

Oh, welcome to the board.

Dave
The 3.7L was an option until '06.

The 2.4L was the standard engine.

sideshowant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5.7 hemi! has anyone done that to a kj? i know with honda civics most other honda and acura motors bolt right in with minor mods. is that the same thing with jeeps? doesn't the pt cruiser turbo have a 2.4l? would that turbo work on my 2.4l?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
sideshowant said:
5.7 hemi! has anyone done that to a kj? i know with honda civics most other honda and acura motors bolt right in with minor mods. is that the same thing with jeeps? doesn't the pt cruiser turbo have a 2.4l? would that turbo work on my 2.4l?
Someone's using their brain!

No, the Turbo'd 2.4L has a LOT of strenghtened parts that allow it to handle the increased power. Whether you could swap them is the question... and I believe you can.

deknight

Reaction score
I have a 2.4L 5 speed. Just take care of the clutch because when it comes time to service it, it will be expensive. Especially if you take it to the dealer like I did. Not a fun experience.

As far as the engine, its a great engine, it just doesn't have enough power for the Liberty. Driving around town is fine, but if you are going to the mountains for skiing or whatever don't expect the liberty to move faster than 50-55mph.

When I bought it I thought I was going to save money since the smaller engine was cheaper. I also thought I was going to get good gas mileage but I only get an average of 18. And as far as saving money when you buy it, ha. That money is gone the first time you need to replace the clutch.

But overall I am glad I bought it and I think you will be also. The positives outweigh the negatives.

sideshowant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
deknight, you and i were in the same frame of mind when it came time to purchase the liberty. i thought the same things you did. but like you said overall it's a great vehicle. i really enjoy driving it and i can't wait to go off roading, or just drive in the snow with it. thanks for the heads up on the clutch, and thanks to everyone else who helped me out.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
sideshowant said:
deknight, you and i were in the same frame of mind when it came time to purchase the liberty. i thought the same things you did. but like you said overall it's a great vehicle. i really enjoy driving it and i can't wait to go off roading, or just drive in the snow with it. thanks for the heads up on the clutch, and thanks to everyone else who helped me out.
Driving in the snow is fun! Even one inch is more than enough excitement! I want a blizzard to come through here.