07 Latitude phantom stalling issue???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Latitude

Reaction score
Here's an odd little quirk with my 2007 Latitude. I'm taking it to the dealership probably in a month or so for various other quirks/issues, but I'm just wondering what you all think this could be. Here goes:

This issue happens at any given low-speed idle (in gear) situation. Lights on, lights off, heater on/off, forward, reverse, etc.

I typically back into my parking space at work. A lot of times, the spot is on a ever-so-slight incline (backing mildly up hill). If I put it in reverse, cut the wheel all the way, and let off the brake to idle it backwards into the spot, if I cut the wheel against the 'lock' or 'stop' the jeep just smoothly shuts off. Throw it in Neutral, hit the key, she fires right up like nothing happened.

That is the common means to which the problem occurs. I've also had it happen while turning using somebody's driveway (go down a street, pull in the driveway, reverse to back out, and it shuts off). I also went to back into a parking spot at my college last summer and it too stalled then. It also did it in drive while pulling into my driveway once when there was a lot of snow recently. I had the jeep in Low (automatic) and in 4WD Part Time. I slid on some ice slowing down on my street, and came to a stop. Cut the wheel to pull in, idled it forward, hit a big pile of snow at the base of the driveway from the city snow plow, hit the gas harder to move, and found the Jeep was, once again, shut off.

What are your thoughts on this issue? The wheel is almost always (if not always) turned one way or another. The Jeep is also at idle in gear (typically, but not limited to reverse). Electronic (POS) throttle control issue? Power steering issue? PS steering fluid is at the proper level, by the way.

Thanks!

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
sounds to me like ESP issues. i know my ESP can sometimes be very agressive giving the sensation of a stall. but mine never kills the motor. I would contact the stealership to see if they can do anyting

2003KJ

Reaction score
Not sure what do tell you other than I occasionally have this with my KJ, and it does happen at full lock either direction. I experience the usual drop in RPM's as with any vehicle when turning the wheel to full lock...but there are some occasions where if I sort of "bounce" (for lack of a better term) off the full lock position it will cause the KJ to smoothly die. Not sure what's causing it, but I usually try to be giving it a little bit of gas when i'm turning it full lock.

Do let us know if the dealer fixes the problem.

07Latitude

Reaction score
I'll let you guys know. It won't be for a week or so, but I'll keep you posted.

Oh, and I doubt it could be ESP. I've had it stall in the middle of summer too backing into a parking spot.

And if an '03 (2003KJ) does it, I'm just wondering if it is a programming glitch w/the computer. I always thought the electronic "drive by wire" could be doing it if the computer doesn't tell it to bump up RPMs enough. But who knows.

Our 06 Grand Cherokee 4.7 has done it ONCE also. Maybe it's just a Chrysler glitch. :eek:

My remedy for now: 2-foot it when backing into a spot or similar. Just to play it safe. Thankfully the electronic throttle control only dis-allows 2-footing the motor after a certain point (cuts throttle off thinking the throttle is jammed while brakes are applied, according to the owner's manual).

2003KJ

Reaction score
I use the 2 foot method if I know i'm going into a tight spot at a slow speed. I also had an issue where it would stall going from reverse to drive. Brought it into the dealer and there was a TSB to flash the computer. They flashed it, and that problem hasn't come back sense. Something else to think about.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy I have wheeled with before has a '07 Limited that would do the same thing,something to do with the TC in the ******.Took it to the dealer and had the ****** reprogrammed and it went away.

07Latitude

Reaction score
Guy I have wheeled with before has a '07 Limited that would do the same thing,something to do with the TC in the ******.Took it to the dealer and had the ****** reprogrammed and it went away.

I've had a quick-learn done once on the vehicle already. I'll inquire about having them reprogram the trans, flash the computer, and all that stuff.

Thanks.