04 Liberty Will not start after putting motor and trans back in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys so pulled the engine and trans over the winter to figure out if we had a cracked block. Found freeze plugs bad and replaced. Just got the motor back in and wanted to get her to turn over. We have pcm hooked up, radiator in, all wires seem to be hooked up and grounds are good. Battery shows 12.6v so I think I should atleast get her to click but I get nothing but all dash lights appear to work. I do not have the shifter cable hooked back up to the trans but that is it and we have made sure the arm in in the park position. What could we be missing. I tried to plug in my scanner but it acts like it cannot see the pcm but it does get power to the obdii port.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys so pulled the engine and trans over the winter to figure out if we had a cracked block. Found freeze plugs bad and replaced. Just got the motor back in and wanted to get her to turn over. We have pcm hooked up, radiator in, all wires seem to be hooked up and grounds are good. Battery shows 12.6v so I think I should atleast get her to click but I get nothing but all dash lights appear to work. I do not have the shifter cable hooked back up to the trans but that is it and we have made sure the arm in in the park position. What could we be missing. I tried to plug in my scanner but it acts like it cannot see the pcm but it does get power to the obdii port.

Could be the shifter cable issue. Try start it in Neutral.
You may have omitted to fit all the grounding straps. Make sure that the battery connectors, negative battery lead going to chassis and the two engine grounding straps...I think the V6 has one behind each head...are all clean and tight. You can use a thick jumper cable to temporary jumper negative post of battery to a clean engine point in case you are missing a ground to the motor.

See the recent post here of the owner who cannot get his engine to turn over after the Dealers replaced the ignition actuator pin assembly and try the same steps I suggested there..

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I did an remembered that I could jump the starter solenoid and she was able to fire up. I think it is the shifter cable that is the issue. It is broken in a spot and now we need to figure out how the heck to get it out.

Latest posts

Members online