'03 KJ Recall Info for CT, DE, IA, IL, IN, KY, MA, ME, MD, MI, OH, PA, etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got this notice, too. Doesn't really matter because I have JBA arms now. But it also said I am due for recall C36...anybody know what that one is?

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got this notice, too. Doesn't really matter because I have JBA arms now. But it also said I am due for recall C36...anybody know what that one is?

Found it:

Jeep Liberty Ball Joint Recall - Possible Accidents & Rollovers

Jeep Liberty Ball Joint Recall

On August 1, 2006 Chrysler Group recalled 832,000 Jeep Liberty sport utility vehicles because of the potential loss of steering control. The front suspension lower ball joint might experience excessive wear and looseness, causing the ball joint to separate. The recall affects all Jeep Liberty SUVs from the 2002-2006 model years.

The Jeep Liberty complaints concern the ball joint failing, which causes the vehicle's front end to drop onto one or both of the front tires and could result in a rollover accident or wreck.

This is not the first Jeep Liberty recall. Over 300,000 Jeep Liberty were recalled in 2002-2003 Liberty vehicles in November 2003 because of problems with the ball joints.

2003 JEEP LIBERTY RECALL

Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V460000
Recall Date : NOV 04, 2003
Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 336000

Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE LOWER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINTS CAN EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF LUBRICATION THAT CAN LEAD TO CORROSION, ACCELERATED WEAR, AND POSSIBLE SEPARATION FROM THE STEERING KNUCKLE.

Consequence:
A BALL JOINT THAT HAS SEPARATED FROM THE KNUCKLE COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF VEHICLE DIRECTIONAL CONTROL AND COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINTS WITH MODIFIED ASSEMBLIES AND HEAT SHIELDS ON VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN JANUARY 2, 2001 AND OCTOBER 4, 2002. ON VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN OCTOBER 5, 2002 AND MARCH 26, 2003, DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE BALL JOINT ASSEMBLIES (AND REPLACE THEM AS NECESSARY) AND INSTALL HEAT SHIELDS. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON DECEMBER 15, 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-992-1997.

Notes:
DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECALL NO. C36. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks Clyde Frog. I already had my lowers done under the recall two years ago, maybe I'll bring it in for new ones anyway.

jcbll95

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I just tryed to make an appt. to see if theyed do mine and was told the arms are on natl. backorder:(

The Fixer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jcbll95 said:
I just tryed to make an appt. to see if theyed do mine and was told the arms are on natl. backorder

Ouch. We'll have to wait until the summer anyway, I have no time to get my wife's taken care of before then.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just tryed to make an apt. to see if theyed do mine and was told the arms are on natl. backorder:(

I called the dealer just after the recall was issued to make an appointment for next week he set the appointment, but couldn't grantee he would get the parts in time
he called yesterday saying the parts were in and that dealers are being limited to

Only 1 recall order per week, so I guess I am lucky

jcbll95

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I figured it was that the dealer was limiting themselves since Chrysler is saying 2 hours or so that may be all they are paying and it is taking longer cause of rusted in place bolts or what-not.
Either way I was told to call back Friday.

ns02kj

Reaction score
Just got my Canadian recall in the mail today. Libby was built 6/24/2002. I guess I'll have to make an appointment with the Stealer and see what they say tomorrow!!!!

Called the dealer and , of course, they had NO idea about the recall. They had to look it up and see what it's all about, so May 5th the libby goes in for her new upper balljoints.

Last edited:

07kj

Reaction score
There shows to be a couple thousand available in warehouses in the states... with no limit per week might I add :)

Latest posts

Members online