04-05 recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmadams

Reaction score
From USAToday:

Chrysler is recalling 2004-05 Jeep Liberties because the lower control arms that keep the rear wheels in place may break, says the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The 209,724 Liberties were built from July 3, 2003 through July 14, 2005 and were originally bought in and now are registered in Salt Belt states, defined by NHTSA as Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshedire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Washington, D.C. You can find the build date on the plate by the drive door.

The problem is that some are fitted with rear lower control arms that can rust through and break, causing a loss of control of the vehicle and a potential crash.

Chrysler says in its documents that it has 83 complaints of control arm fractures, but that it knows of no accidents or injuries.

Chrysler will notify owners starting by the end of April and replace the arms. You can call Chrysler for more information at 800-853-1403 or call NHTSA's safety hotline at 888-327-4236.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
From USAToday:

Chrysler is recalling 2004-05 Jeep Liberties because the lower control arms that keep the rear wheels in place may break, says the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The 209,724 Liberties were built from July 3, 2003 through July 14, 2005 and were originally bought in and now are registered in Salt Belt states, defined by NHTSA as Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshedire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Washington, D.C. You can find the build date on the plate by the drive door.

The problem is that some are fitted with rear lower control arms that can rust through and break, causing a loss of control of the vehicle and a potential crash.

Chrysler says in its documents that it has 83 complaints of control arm fractures, but that it knows of no accidents or injuries.

Chrysler will notify owners starting by the end of April and replace the arms. You can call Chrysler for more information at 800-853-1403 or call NHTSA's safety hotline at 888-327-4236.

My build date was 5/13/05 so it was between those build dates. So mine will be in the recall.

That said I looked at my control arms and they look ok. When I do my oil changes I also spray those bushings good with oil. Also after a storm I pressure spray the undercarriage. I wish they wouldn't use that calcium chloride crap on the roads around here.....might make vehicles last longer and make people slow down and learn how to drive in the white stuff...haha

Dave

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My build date was 5/13/05 so it was between those build dates. So mine will be in the recall.

That said I looked at my control arms and they look ok. When I do my oil changes I also spray those bushings good with oil. Also after a storm I pressure spray the undercarriage. I wish they wouldn't use that calcium chloride crap on the roads around here.....might make vehicles last longer and make people slow down and learn how to drive in the white stuff...haha

Dave
And why it's a load of crap there is even a recall,it's not Chryslers fault where you live uses chemicals that eat steel.It should be the local government's fault and they should foot the bill for replacement.All these types of recalls do is raise the cost of new vehicles and replacement parts to make up the loss.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And why it's a load of crap there is even a recall,it's not Chryslers fault where you live uses chemicals that eat steel.It should be the local government's fault and they should foot the bill for replacement.All these types of recalls do is raise the cost of new vehicles and replacement parts to make up the loss.

I'll disagree with you. If you are going to sell a vehicle for a particular region or climate, you should build the vehicle to withstand the elements it will be exposed to. By cheaping out and using inferior materials, Chrysler (and any other manufacturer) puts owners at risk.

Also, it really bugs me that people consider cars/trucks "disposable" these days. They cost more than ever based on average wage, yet manufacturers expect consumers to realize an even shorter ownership period than older vehicles.

If this was just a bushing or maintenance part, I wouldn't really have a problem with having to perform regular maintenance. The issue here is however, that an integral part of the rear suspension corrodes and can break while driving. That's a serious problem!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll disagree with you. If you are going to sell a vehicle for a particular region or climate, you should build the vehicle to withstand the elements it will be exposed to. By cheaping out and using inferior materials, Chrysler (and any other manufacturer) puts owners at risk.

Also, it really bugs me that people consider cars/trucks "disposable" these days. They cost more than ever based on average wage, yet manufacturers expect consumers to realize an even shorter ownership period than older vehicles.

If this was just a bushing or maintenance part, I wouldn't really have a problem with having to perform regular maintenance. The issue here is however, that an integral part of the rear suspension corrodes and can break while driving. That's a serious problem!
Guess you haven't seen some BMW's,no salt needed.

I don't care who makes it but add salt and lack of washing it and stuffs going to corrode and fail.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess you haven't seen some BMW's,no salt needed.

I don't care who makes it but add salt and lack of washing it and stuffs going to corrode and fail.

I'll take the corrode part, and fail eventually, sure. But in 5 or 6 years? Completely unreasonable. 10 or more would be acceptable, but even then, shouldn't be the rule. And I'm not talking body panels here, I mean SERIOUS frame/suspension parts. I should not have to worry about a control arm fracturing due to corrosion in 5 years. What the hell are they freakin' making them out of?!!

I had a Ford Ranger for 5 years, with only mild surface rust on the undercarriage. No body panels rusting, no u-channels rotting out, etc. I would MAYBE hit the underside of the truck at the car wash once or twice a winter, give a thorough clean out in the spring, and then give another two or three quick washes the remainder of the year. Granted, I have seen some rougher looking comparable model year Rangers, but not to the point of needing repair.

Like I said, cheaping out on parts or the manufacturing process, because heaven forbid should the vehicle last longer than 7 years and that producer doesn't get a new sale soon! whatevs

Just for giggles...here's a couple pics of my truck when I sold it.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big difference between the rear suspension on a Rnager and KJ,the Ranger rear has thick leaf springs without any control arms.Spring steel used in leafs is about as stout as you can get.Now the hangers are another story,I've replaced a few here in CO already for fracturing from rust and CO is not even a salt belt state.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will they be replaced if not needed? Mine both look new and the bushings are in great shape also, Rather just pass on new ones..

Mopar guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Salt is pretty tough on suspension components like the stamped steel control arms. I own a 2004 Liberty and it is in the recall list. I also work for Chrysler LLC Mopar division and will get to handle the recall parts first hand. The control arms in the front of the Liberty and most trucks are cast iron so the salt doesnt really effect them, but stamped steel parts and not nearly as robust and once they loose the protective paint and start to rust they are like any other body part, but in a much worse position, and they arent washed as much as the body of the vehicle. Here in Minnesota, they tend to not even plow snow under 1 inch deep, and instead just dump salt on it, so I am not surprised this can be an issue.