Jeep recalling more than 47,000 Liberty, Wrangler ETC models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JK2KJ

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Chrysler is recalling over 47,000 models, including the 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Commander, and Wrangler four-door that may have reversed wiring on the driver's airbag controller, a defect that may inhibit the airbag's deployment. Additionally, the 2002 and 2003 Jeep Libertys sold in New England and much of the Midwest are susceptible to a loss of lubrication in their front ball joints due to salt. The remedy for both recalls is a trip to the dealer, who will inspect and make any necessary repairs. You can read the full press releases after the jump.

[Source: NHTSA (Cherokee, Commander, Wrangler) & NHTSA (Liberty)]

NHTSA NOTICE

Vehicle Make / Model, Model Year(s):
JEEP / COMMANDER, 2009
JEEP / GRAND CHEROKEE, 2009
JEEP / WRANGLER 4-DR 4X4, 2009

Manufacturer: CHRYSLER LLC
Mfr's Report Date: APR 07, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V118000
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRING
Potential Number of Units Affected: 4336

Summary:
CHRYSLER IS RECALLING 4,336 MY 2009 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, COMMANDER AND WRANGLER VEHICLES. WIRING MAY BE REVERSED ON THE STEERING COLUMN CONTROL MODULE DRIVER AIRBAG SQUIB CONNECTOR. THE DRIVER'S AIRBAG MAY NOT DEPLOY AS INTENDED.

Consequence:
IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH, THE DRIVER'S AIRBAG WILL NOT DEPLOY AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROPERLY PROTECT AN OCCUPANT, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURIES.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE DRIVER'S AIRBAG SQUIB WIRES AND REPLACE THE STEERING COLUMN CONTROL MODULE FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MAY 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Notes:
CHRYSLER RECALL NO. J13. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
NHTSA NOTICE

Vehicle Make / Model, Model Year(s):
JEEP / LIBERTY, 2002-2003

Manufacturer: CHRYSLER LLC
Mfr's Report Date: APR 07, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V119000
NHTSA Action Number: EA08008
Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM
Potential Number of Units Affected: 42469

Summary:
CHRYSLER IS RECALLING 42,469 MY 2002-2003 JEEP LIBERTY VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN SALT BELT STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, IOWA, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, KENTUCKY, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MARYLAND, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, TENNESSEE, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA , WISCONSIN AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. THE FRONT SUSPENSION UPPER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINT MAY EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF LUBRICATION WHICH COULD LEAD TO CORROSION, ACCELERATED WEAR, AND POSSIBLE SEPARATION WHILE DRIVING.

Consequence:
FAILURE OF THE BALL JOINT COULD RESULT IN A LOSS OF STEERING CAPABILITY, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARM ASSEMBLIES FREE OF CHARGE. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Notes:
CHRYSLER RECALL NO. J17. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Autoblog

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did they even make any chances to ball joints from 03 to 04 to exclude 04 and newer from this recall?

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what if you already got the ball joints done

This looks like a different recall Twack. I've already had mine replaced before, and the dealer setup an appointment for next week for me...

I'll let you know if they turn me away.. I'll pull that ball joint off and roll it in the parking lot.. I'll drive away with an 09' KK what do you bet.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
This recall says they are replacing the upper control arm assembly, not just the ball joint. That's the whole piece with the b-joint in it. These ball joints are not replaceable, so they have to replace the whole arm. You can get them for about $60.00 each, or 118.00 for the pair... Some go for 117 for just one... Depends where you get them... DEALER will always be top price.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
This recall says they are replacing the upper control arm assembly, not just the ball joint. That's the whole piece with the b-joint in it. These ball joints are not replaceable, so they have to replace the whole arm. You can get them for about $60.00 each, or 118.00 for the pair... Some go for 117 for just one... Depends where you get them... DEALER will always be top price.

It's a recall so it is on them. No cost to you.

Another thought....this is 02-03 MY only so far so I wonder if 2 years from now they will recall the 05-07 KJ's.........Moogs are looking better and better.

Dave

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It's a recall so it is on them. No cost to you.

Another thought....this is 02-03 MY only so far so I wonder if 2 years from now they will recall the 05-07 KJ's

Most likely, just like the last UBJ recall... they will probably use yet another excuse for it though. :D

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what they are saying is that all the upper BJ's for these years are no good, but they will only replace them if you live in an area where the roads are salted in winter?
They deserve to go bankrupt!!

Krashdragon

Reaction score
Old posts, but, they totally forgot about one state that's literally surrounded by salt water... aka Hawaii.
Guess I'll go yell at the dealer tomorrow. Even tho I'm in Texas now, the Jeepie was registered for a couple years in Ohio.....
Price now with a discounted discount at O'Reilly's was 71 each....
Mary aka Krashdragon