'03 KJ Recall Info for CT, DE, IA, IL, IN, KY, MA, ME, MD, MI, OH, PA, etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this today while researching my Libby a bit. Just figured I'd share it with you guys in case anyone is affected but isn't aware.

Make: JEEP
Model: LIBERTY
Model Year: 2003
Manufacturer: CHRYSLER LLC Mfr's
Report Date: APR 07, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V119000 EA08008
NHTSA Action Number: EA08008
Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM
Potential Number of Units Affected: 42469
Summary:
CHRYSLER IS RECALLING 42,469 MY 2002-2003 JEEP LIBERTY VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN SALT BELT STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, IOWA, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, KENTUCKY, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MARYLAND, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA , WISCONSIN AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. THE FRONT SUSPENSION UPPER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINT MAY EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF LUBRICATION WHICH COULD LEAD TO CORROSION, ACCELERATED WEAR, AND POSSIBLE SEPARATION WHILE DRIVING.
Consequence:
FAILURE OF THE BALL JOINT COULD RESULT IN A LOSS OF STEERING CAPABILITY, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARM ASSEMBLIES FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT APRIL 24, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
Notes:
CHRYSLER RECALL NO. J17. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just some additional info

Summary:
ON APRIL 7, 2009, CHRYSLER LLC SUBMITTED TO ODI A DEFECT INFORMATION REPORT INDICATING THAT IT WOULD RECALL APPROXIMATELY 42,469 MODEL YEAR 2002 THROUGH 2003 JEEP LIBERTY VEHICLES TO REMEDY A DEFECT THAT CAN RESULT IN UPPER BALL JOINT SEPARATION WHILE DRIVING (09V-119). THE AFFECTED VEHICLES WERE BUILT FROM MAY 2002 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 2002 AND ORIGINALLY SOLD OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, KENTUCKY, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA AND WISCONSIN. ACCORDING TO CHRYSLER, THE FRONT SUSPENSION UPPER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINT MAY EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF LUBRICATION WHICH CAN LEAD TO CORROSION, ACCELERATED WEAR, AND POSSIBLE SEPARATION WHILE DRIVING. CHRYSLER'S RECALL PROCEDURE INSTRUCTS DEALERS TO REPLACE THE FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARM ASSEMBLIES ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES. ALTHOUGH THE SPECIFIC CAUSE FOR THE DEFECT IN THE RECALLED PRODUCTION RANGE HAS NOT BEEN DETERMINED, ODI'S ANALYSIS OF UPPER BALL JOINT SEPARATIONS BY VEHICLE BUILD DATE SHOWS A CLEARLY DEFINED AND SIGNIFICANT "SPIKE" IN THE RATE OF SEPARATION DURING THE FIVE MONTH PRODUCTION RANGE COVERED BY 09V-119, WHICH ACCOUNTS FOR ONLY 11 PERCENT OF SUBJECT VEHICLE PRODUCTION BUT APPROXIMATELY 70 PERCENT OF SEPARATION INCIDENTS. SEVENTY-FOUR (74) OF THE UPPER BALL JOINT SEPARATION INCIDENTS IDENTIFIED BY ODI OCCURRED IN VEHICLES PRODUCED IN THE RECALL MONTHS, RESULTING IN A SEPARATION RATE OF 174 PER 100,000 VEHICLES. THE SEPARATION RATE IN THE REMAINING SUBJECT VEHICLE POPULATION IS SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER, AT 9 INCIDENTS PER 100,000 VEHICLES. AT THIS TIME, THE DATA DO NOT SHOW A DEFECT TREND IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES BUILT OUTSIDE THE RECALL RANGE AFTER APPROXIMATELY 6-8 YEARS IN SERVICE. THIS ENGINEERING ANALYSIS IS CLOSED.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
It was lower last time.

ITBJHO the upper balljoint recall on a 6-7 year old vehicle is stupid.

Most of them have >75,000 miles. On any modern vehicle you should expect to replace balljoints.

The NHTSA is a bunch of bullies.

The Fixer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's OK TBJ, I don't mind having the dealer do them for free. :) I just wish my local dealer was still in business - they closed every one that was close by and now it's a hike through 40 minutes of traffic to get to one.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, it says salt belt regions but i dont see nothing regarding canada, r we not worthy chrysler ?

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ok, it says salt belt regions but i dont see nothing regarding canada, r we not worthy chrysler ?

It's a US Gov't mandated recall. The US Gov't does not mandate recalls in Canada.

Don't know if this is news to you, but figured you should know.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right, ok, makes sense, wasnt thinking.or paying attention to the OP. was thinking
was factory initiated.
well, lets see if transport canada follows suit.doubt it.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does the recall work? I mean like does every 02 and 03 get recalled? When I got an oil change last week they said it had no open recalls and they jeep site said the same thing. The PO said that there was never a recall for it. My jeep has been in Michigan since it came to the dealership so shouldn't it be recalled?

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So heres the real question. I have an obvious lift on my car. when you put it on the hoist the upper control arms will touch the springs. Knowing that it has been modified will they still honor the recall? Is there anywhere that state whether they will/wont?

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So heres the real question. I have an obvious lift on my car. when you put it on the hoist the upper control arms will touch the springs. Knowing that it has been modified will they still honor the recall? Is there anywhere that state whether they will/wont?

I don't believe that voids your entitlement to the recall but I'd call Chrysler/a dealer just in case. I know that aftermarket modifications will void a warranty (usually) but I don't know what the effect, if any, is on recalls.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe that voids your entitlement to the recall but I'd call Chrysler/a dealer just in case. I know that aftermarket modifications will void a warranty (usually) but I don't know what the effect, if any, is on recalls.
Modifying the suspension voids a recall on suspension parts,got the letter from Chrysler as my VIN is officially red flagged:D,can't even trade it in at any Chrysler dealershiprockon.gif.

Good thing to,saving Chrysler some money from not having to mail that annoying letter every month(for the last 4 years,how they kept getting my address I don't know) saying I need to come in for the LBJ recall on my KJ.Well I finally took it in and talk about one confused techkopkrab.gif .