KJ left me stranded, won't crank... what to do now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WTF, what kind of shop doesn't take credit cards?

Probably one with a very...very....very rich clientele. They lost my business over it. Or maybe they just do oil changes, battery swaps and windshield wiper blade changes... who knows.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garage just called. It's the ignition switch. So... new steering column for me. Surprised Chrysler didn't make it so you had to replace the entire front end. Cause, you know, that'd be the easiest.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jnaut the same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I def agree with you. I still haven't written that angry rant letter to Chrysler yet but it's gona happen.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garage just called. It's the ignition switch. So... new steering column for me. Surprised Chrysler didn't make it so you had to replace the entire front end. Cause, you know, that'd be the easiest.

haha, I dont sense any anger there at all. :D Tis true though.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's built that way for a reason,mainly theft deterrent.

loves_off_roading

jnaut the same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I def agree with you. I still haven't written that angry rant letter to Chrysler yet but it's gona happen.
At least they will get a good laugh,almost all newer vehicles are built the same way and not going to change.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's built that way for a reason,mainly theft deterrent.

And apparently repair deterrent.

At least they will get a good laugh,almost all newer vehicles are built the same way and not going to change.

I know and understand.

My frustration comes from the fact that I did a career in software engineering. Software engineering is unique in that ye who builds also maintains.

So when you build a piece of software that has to be changed, modified, fixed or worked on later, a good programmer is measured by how easy it is to maintain the code. If you have to dismantle the entire project and re-engineer 25 modules to make a minor change, you get pointed at and laughed at behind your back.

If I had the mechanical skills, I'd seriously be curious to dismantle the thing myself and see if it's fixable or bypassable without a steering column replace. I mean, it's a switch, and it has to have contacts in it somewhere.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Mine was the switch on left side of column,$16 at autozone,$53 at dealer+figuring it out.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was the switch on left side of column,$16 at autozone,$53 at dealer+figuring it out.

Do tell. Is there some part of the start-switch that can be replaced, and some part of it that can't?

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he was refering to the MultiFunction Stalk and not the physical ignition assembly.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Do tell. Is there some part of the start-switch that can be replaced, and some part of it that can't?
Yes,under muti-stalk deal on left side of column,FSM has details on replacing,if I had it with me would share.

FSM-chapter 19-8 through 19-10
4793576AC switch is what bill from dealer shows.
quick Google shows several dealers that have it,Autozone carrys it also for 16-17 $

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jnaut,did you find anything out?

Yes, haven't been back to the board in a while... lots of stuff going on with the holidays, my jeep being out etc.

It was the starter switch, required a new steering column and a ton of money. Stings but it's working and I'm happy.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
jnaut, I am glad that the repair is complete and back on the road again.
I am shocked that they would have to replace the whole steering column to fix the ignition key switch, theft deterrent or not, how much was that new dealer steering column?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jnaut, I am glad that the repair is complete and back on the road again.
I am shocked that they would have to replace the whole steering column to fix the ignition key switch, theft deterrent or not, how much was that new dealer steering column?

Steering column alone was something like $289 - $300. Can't remember the exact price. Installation and diagnostic time for the tech really ran up the bill.

I'm happy she's back on the road, too. To be honest, it wouldn't have pissed me off nearly as much except that I paid the dang thing off in September. I was hoping to... you know, go a few months before throwing a ton of money at it. For instance, a mod or two would be nice, but that just got set way back. And all this RIGHT before Christmas, too. It's like getting a kick in the tenders...

sumosumo

Reaction score
Got stranded in a parking lot this afternoon where the KJ wouldn't start. Had full electrics in the vehicle, headlights, instruments, dash throwing no codes at all. Just showing 'done'. Battery reading 12.41 volts. Haven't load tested it though, but it seems good-- tow truck driver felt it was good too.

Jump start didn't work, no crank, no click no nothing. Fuel pump seems to come on when putting key in 'on' position. Turn key to crank, nothing.

Fuse looked ok. Haven't tested starter relay yet (not sure how, am looking at manual now). Any advice?
I had the same trbl with my liberty. No start lights and radio and acc work fine battery and starter fine but no crank.the ignition actuator pin is broke in the steering colum.to verify no power going to your stater relay ck fuse 28 with a volt meter if fuse is good you should have 12 v at the fuse when someone put the key to start you should get 12 v.if no remove the steering colum cover 2 torx screws on bottom.noe ck the red wire at the ignition switch hot all the time 12 v..now check the light blue / red wire at the ignition switch when you put the key to start position you should get 12 v at the lght blue /red wire if No your ignition actuator is the issue.now remove th e multi function switch on top remove the 2 torx screws and just move it to the side .noe remove the 1 torx screw to free the ignition switch. Now remove the key cylinder put key in thr RUN position and press the tab on the bottom on the cylinder and pull the lock out. Now remove 2 torx screws on thr plate on bottom .just becareful you dont lose the spring that is inside of the plate.now you can pull the ignition actuator and ignition switch out .remove the harness from the ignition switch .now just pull apart the actuator from the switch. You are going to need T-10 And T -20 security torx bits .. reverse process to install if your not sure just take some pics as you go..good luck

sumosumo

Reaction score
I had the same trbl with my liberty. No start lights and radio and acc work fine battery and starter fine but no crank.the ignition actuator pin is broke in the steering colum.to verify no power going to your stater relay ck fuse 28 with a volt meter if fuse is good you should have 12 v at the fuse when someone put the key to start you should get 12 v.if no remove the steering colum cover 2 torx screws on bottom.noe ck the red wire at the ignition switch hot all the time 12 v..now check the light blue / red wire at the ignition switch when you put the key to start position you should get 12 v at the lght blue /red wire if No your ignition actuator is the issue.now remove th e multi function switch on top remove the 2 torx screws and just move it to the side .noe remove the 1 torx screw to free the ignition switch. Now remove the key cylinder put key in thr RUN position and press the tab on the bottom on the cylinder and pull the lock out. Now remove 2 torx screws on thr plate on bottom .just becareful you dont lose the spring that is inside of the plate.now you can pull the ignition actuator and ignition switch out .remove the harness from the ignition switch .now just pull apart the actuator from the switch. You are going to need T-10 And T -20 security torx bits .. reverse process to install if your not sure just take some pics as you go..good luck